1864. No. 104—(226) In Maury's command, Mobile, April, 1865.
Hilliard's Legion was organized at Montgomery, June, 1862, and consisted of five battalions; one of these, a mounted battalion, was early detached and became part of the Tenth Confederate cavalry. The Legion proceeded to Montgomery nearly 3,000 strong, under the command of Col. H. W. Hilliard, and was placed in McCown's brigade. It took part in the siege of Cumberland Gap, and spent the fall and winter in Kentucky and east Tennessee. In April, Col. J. Thorington took command of the Legion, and was succeeded in command of the First battalion by Lieut.-Col. J. Holt, the whole Legion serving in Gracie's brigade at Chickamauga. In this battle it earned a splendid reputation. The First and Second battalions suffered the heaviest loss, leaving more than half their number either dead or wounded on the field. Lieutenant-Colonel Holt was severely wounded, and the command of the First battalion fell upon Captain Huguley. Maj. Daniel S. Troy was in command after Chickamauga. Lieutenant-Colonel Hall and Captain Walden, successively in command of the Second battalion, were both wounded. This battalion was the first to plant its banner on the enemy's works. The colors were pierced by 83 bullets. The standard-bearer, Robert Y. Hiett, was made a lieutenant. The other battalions also fought nobly and suffered severely both in officers and men.
The Third was complimented on the field by General Pond. The legion continued fighting in Gracie's brigade in east Tennessee until, on November 25, 1863, it was dissolved. Parts of the First and Third were consolidated and formed the Sixtieth Alabama, under Col. J. W. A. Sanford; the Second and Fourth, under Col. Bolling Hall, Jr., became the Fifty-ninth Alabama. Three com-