Page:Confederate Military History - 1899 - Volume 7.djvu/322

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
303
CONFEDERATE MILITARY HISTORY.

EXTRACTS FROM OFFICIAL WAR RECORDS.

Mead's company. Vol. XVI, Part 2—(758) August 15, 1862, ordered to operate in north Alabama and Tennessee, and report to nearest Confederate commander. (781) General Bragg's order, Chattanooga, Tenn., August 26, 1862. The following assignment of cavalry is announced: Crawford's, Mead's and Allen's regiment, commanded by Colonel Wheeler, to left wing of army of the Mississippi, and will report to Major-General Hardee.

Twenty-fifth Battalion, Maj. Miles E. Johnston. No. 103—(561, 562) Mentioned in report of Colonel Given, Huntsville, Ala., May 29, 1865, in report of surrender of Johnston's command. (563, 564, 566) Correspondence of Major Johnston, Huntsville, Ala., May, in regard to terms of surrender. (640) Mentioned by Gen. R. W. Johnson (Union), Pulaski, Tenn.; called Mead's battalion. (665) Mentioned by Col. W. J. Clift (Union), Fayetteville, Tenn., Mead's men "the most reckless and daring in the country." (1023) Special orders, No. 52, Richmond, Va., March 2, 1865. "The following companies Alabama cavalry raised within the enemy's lines by Capt. L. G. Mead, under authority of the war department, are hereby organized into a battalion, to be known as the Twenty-fifth battalion, Alabama cavalry: Capt. M. E. Johnston's, Capt. F. E. Cotton's, Capt. D. C. Nelson's, Capt. R. L. Welch's, Capt. W. M. Campbell's and Capt. John Cobb's."

BARBIERE’S RESERVE CAVALRY.

Barbiere's reserve cavalry consisted of six companies under the command of Maj. Joseph Barbiere, and served principally in central Alabama during the fall and winter of 1864-65.

EXTRACTS FROM OFFICIAL WAR RECORDS.

No. 93—(1233) In Armistead's brigade, central Alabama, General Taylor's army, November 20, 1864. No. 94—(634) In Armistead's brigade, central Alabama, General Maury's army, December 1, 1864. No. 103—(998) Barbiere's battalion cavalry, six companies, headquarters Wilsonville, February, 1865.