occupied by the Metropolitan Railway station. In 1840 Doudney purchased and became editor of the 'Gospel Magazine,' and in 1846 he retired from his printing press.
In November of the latter year he went to Ireland to distribute funds raised by readers of the 'Gospel Magazine' for the relief of the Irish famine. In the following year he was ordained deacon and priest in the Anglican church by the bishop of Cashel, and from 1847 to 1859 he was vicar of Kilrush and curate of Monksland, co. Waterford. Impressed by the poverty and ignorance of the people, Doudney established 'industrial, infant, and agricultural' schools at Bunmahon or Bonmahon, as he spelt it. Various kinds of technical instruction were supplied, and a printing press set up, from which was issued Doudney's abridgment of Gill's 'Exposition of the Old and New Testaments;' the former, which comprised four stout double-column volumes, appeared between 1852 and 1854, and the latter in two volumes, 1852-3. He also issued from the Bonmahon press a periodical entitled 'Old Jonathan,' which he continued to edit until his death. Doudney published at Bonmahon an account of these schools in 'A Pictorial Outline of the Rise and Progress of the Bonmahon Schools,' 1855, 16mo.
Doudney left Ireland in 1859 to become perpetual curate of St. Luke's, Bedminster, Bristol, where he established industrial schools similar to those at Bonmahon. He continued to edit the 'Gospel Magazine' and 'Old Jonathan,' and published a large number of tracts and other devotional works. In 1866 he edited the 'Recollections and Remains' of the Rev. George David Doudney, his cousin and brother-in-law, an evangelical divine like himself. Doudney also took an active part in many charitable institutions, particularly the Printers' Corporation. He retired from St. Luke's in 1890, and in that year was presented with a thousand pounds in recognition of his fifty years' editorship of the 'Gospel Magazine.' He moved to Southville, Granada Road, Southsea, where he died on 21 April 1893. He was buried in Southsea cemetery on the 20th. He was twice married, and left four sons and two daughters. A portrait of Doudney is given in the 'Gospel Magazine' for May 1893, and is prefixed to his 'Memoir.'
[Memoir of D. A. Doudney, by his eldest son and eldest daughter, 1893 (2nd edit. 1894); works in Brit. Mus. Libr.; Crockford's Clerical Directory, 1891; Times, 24 and 25 April 1893; City Press, 26 April 1893; Men of the Time, 13th edit.; Gospel Magazine, May and June 1893.]
DOUGLAS, Sir JOHN SHOLTO, eighth Marquis of Queensbury (1844–1900), eldest son of Archibald William Douglas (1818–1858), seventh marquis, who married on 2 June 1840 Caroline Margaret, younger daughter of General Sir William Robert Clayton, bart., was born on 20 July 1844, and succeeded his father as eighth marquis in 1858. He served in the navy for five years (1859–64) and held a commission in. the first Dumfriesshire volunteers. From 1872 until 1880 he sat as a representative peer for Scotland, but he was not re-elected in 1880. Except in this capacity his public acts were of a strictly unofficial character. He became somewhat notorious as a supporter of Charles Bradlaugh [q. v. Suppl.] and secularism, and at the Globe Theatre on 14 Nov. 1882 he rose in the stalls and denounced Tennyson's 'imaginary free-thinker' in the 'Promise of May' as an 'abominable caricature.' The marquis became even more notorious in 1895, when he was charged at Marlborough Street police-court with publishing a defamatory libel on Oscar Wilde [q. v. Suppl.], and on taking his trial at the central criminal court was acquitted (5 April) on the grounds that the 'libel' was justifiable and was published 'for the public benefit.'
Queensberry is best remembered as a patron of boxing. When the prizerring fell into final disrepute in England about 1860, the Amateur Athletic Club was founded by John Chambers, whom Queensberry supported, with a view to encourage boxing contests. Handsome challenge cups were offered by Queensberry, and in 1867 a body of special rules was drawn up under his supervision, which have since borne the name of 'Queensberry rules.' In 1881 Queensberry published a meditation in blank verse entitled 'The Spirit of the Matterhorn.' He died in London on 31 Jan. 1900, and his remains after cremation were buried in the family burying place at Kinmount, Dumfriesshire, on 3 Feb. 1900. He married, first, on 26 Feb. 1866, Sibyl (who divorced him on 22 Jan. 1887), younger daughter of Alfred Montgomery, and had issue four sons and one daughter. He married, secondly, on 7 Nov. 1893 Ethel, daughter of Edward Charles Weedon of Exeter (marriage annulled 1894). He was succeeded as ninth marquis by his eldest surviving son, Percy Sholto Douglas.
His elder son, Francis Archibald Douglas, called Viscount Drumlanrig (1867–1894), lord-in-waiting to the queen (1892–4), acted as assistant private secretary to Lord Rosebery when the latter became foreign secretary in Gladstone's 1892 ministry. In order