time to time in the registers (Arber's Transcript, vols. ii. and iii.). He brought out many theological works and translations from the French; to some of the latter the letters E. A. are affixed, giving rise to the opinion that they were translated by Aggas himself. Ames says that he was more of a bookseller than printer (Typogr. Antiq., ed. Herbert, p. 1167), and dwelt at the sign of the Dragon in the west end of St. Paul's Churchyard. His device was a wyvern rising out of a ducal coronet, being the arms of the Cliffords, earls of Cumberland. His son, Elmore Aggas, was apprenticed to Gregory Seton for eight years, from 1 Nov. 1603 (Arber, ii. 274).
[For Aggas as a translator, see Collier's Extracts from the Registers of the Stationers' Company (Shakespeare Soc.) ii. 42; and Collier's Bibl. Account of Rarest English Books, ii. 171.]
AGGAS, or ANGUS, ROBERT (d. 1679), landscape and scene painter, was considered a good landscape painter, both in oil and in distemper, and skilful in introducing architecture into his compositions. He was employed by Charles II as a scene-painter for the theatre in Dorset Garden. He was also employed at the Blackfriars and Phœnix Theatres. A landscape by him is preserved in Painter-Stainers' Hall. He died in London in 1679, aged about 60.
[Walpole's Anecdotes of Painters, p. 183 note; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists of the English School.]
AGLIO, AUGUSTINE (1777–1857), painter, decorator, and lithographer, was born at Cremona and educated at Milan. About 1801 William Wilkins, the architect, afterwards R.A., made his acquaintance abroad, and travelled with him in Italy and Greece. Aglio executed in aquatint the illustrations to Wilkins's ‘Magna Græcia.’ He returned to Rome in 1802, and afterwards came to England, where he settled and spent the remainder of his life. He decorated the Opera House in 1804, Drury Lane Theatre in 1806, and the Pantheon in 1811. In 1819 he painted the ceiling and altar-piece of the Roman catholic chapel in Moorfields, and he decorated the summer-house in the gardens of Buckingham Palace and the Olympic Theatre. From 1807 to 1846 he was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Academy, and sent many works to the exhibitions of the Society of British Artists. His contributions to the Academy were principally landscapes, but to the society he sent many scriptural pieces. A portrait of George IV as a Knight of the Garter was lithographed by Aglio in 1823. In 1840 he exhibited at the Royal Academy a picture of ‘The Enthronisation of Queen Victoria,’ which, with two portraits of the queen and others of his works, have been engraved. In 1844 and 1847 he competed unsuccessfully for the decoration of the Houses of Parliament, sending on the first occasion a large landscape with figures in fresco, and on the second a large oil picture of Rebecca. He was an artist of much industry and versatility, but of no great talent. His most extensive performance was a work called ‘Antiquities of Mexico,’ illustrated with a thousand lithographic plates from ancient Mexican paintings and hieroglyphics in the royal libraries of Europe. This work was executed at the expense of Lord Kingsborough. Nine volumes out of ten projected were finished and issued in folio (1830–48). A set at the British Museum contains sixty pages of the tenth volume. Aglio also published ‘Twelve Pictures of Killarney,’ ‘A Collection of Capitals and Friezes, drawn from the Antique’ (1820), ‘Sketches of the Decorations in Woolley Hall, Yorkshire’ (1821), and ‘Studies of various Trees and Forest Scenery’ (two numbers only, 1831). Aglio died 30 Jan. 1859, and was buried in Highgate Cemetery.
[Bryan's Dict.; Pilkington; Brit. Mus. Cat.; Catalogues of Royal Academy and Society of British Artists; Nagler's Künstler-Lexikon(edited by Meyer, 1872).]
AGLIONBY, EDWARD (1520–1587?), recorder of Warwick, was born at Carlisle in 1520, and educated at Eton, from whence he was elected in 1536 to a scholarship at King's College, Cambridge, of which society he appears to have become a fellow three years later. He graduated B.A. in 1540–1, and M.A. in 1544. Subsequently he was appointed a justice of the peace for Warwickshire, where he possessed considerable property. His residence was at Temple Balshall. In December 1569 the treasure for the supply of the army sent to suppress the northern rebellion was committed to his charge, and he conveyed it safely to Berwick. He was returned for Warwick to the parliament of April 1571, and spoke thrice on the bill for imposing penalties on those who did not attend the services of the Established Church. The measure, he urged, ought to be only temporary in its operation. On 12 Aug. 1572 he was elected recorder of Warwick. Queen Elizabeth visited that town the same day on her way from Bishops Itchington to Kenilworth, and the new recorder made an oration to her majesty, which is printed in Nichols's ‘Progresses.’ In November 1587