Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 05.djvu/348

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.

Univ. Lex.; Birch's Life of Henry, Prince of Wales, 73; Coriat's From Court of Great Mogul, Lond. 1616, p. 45.]

J. M.

BOND, JOHN, LL.D. (1612–1676), puritan divine, was a member of an old Dorsetshire family which settled in that county in the reign of Henry VI, but was born at Chard, in Somersetshire (Ep. Dedicat. to Occasus Occident.) on 12 April 1612. His father was Dennis Bond [q. v.] He was educated at Dorchester under John White, and afterwards entered at St. Catharine's College, Cambridge. of which he became a fellow. He took his B.A. degree in 1631, became M.A. in 1635, and LL.D. ten years later. After leaving Cambridge he was for some time a lecturer at Exeter, and then succeeded his old master, White, as minister of the Savoy. In 1643 he became a member of the assembly of divines, and in December 1645 succeeded to the mastership of the Savoy. In the same year, Selden having declined the mastership of Trinity Hall, Dr. King was chosen by the fellows: but, parliament interposing on behalf of Bond he was elected master on 7 March 1646. Three years later he was made professor of law at Gresham College, London, and in 1654 became assistant to the commissioners of Middlesex and Westminster for ejecting scandalous ministers and schoolmasters He was appointed vice-chancellor of Cambridge University in 1658, but lost his preferments at Cambridge and London on the Restoration. He retired to Dorsetshire, where he died at Sandwich, in the Isle of Purbeck, and was buried at Steeple on 30 July 1676. He is thought by some to be identical with the John Bond who was member for Melcombe Regis in the last parliament of Charles I, recorder of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis in 1645 and subsequently a recruiter in that district for the Long parliament (Hutchins, Dorsetshire, ed. Ship and Hodson).

He published the following sermons:

  1. 'A Door of Hope,' 1641.
  2. 'Holy and Royal Activity,' 1641.
  3. 'Sermon at Exeter before the Deputy Lieutenants,' 1643.
  4. 'Salvation in a Mystery,' 1644.
  5. 'Ortus Occidentalis,' 1645.
  6. 'Grapes amongst Thorns,' 1648
  7. 'A Thanksgiving Sermon,' 1648.

[Wood's Athenæ Oxon. (ed. Bliss), 1817, ii. 115; Kennett's Register and Chron. Ecclesiastical and Civil, 1728, p. 222; Ward's Lives of the Gresham Coll. Professors, 1740, p. 247; Coker's Survey of Dorset shire, 1732, p. 49; Hutchins's History and Antiq. of Dorsetshire, ed. Ship and Hodson, 1861, i. 603, 607, ii. 438, 440, 451, 453; Willis's Notitia Parliament. ii. 437, iii. 244.]

A. R. B.

BOND, JOHN JAMES (1810–1883), chronologist, born 9 Dec. 1819, entered the public service at the age of twenty-one as a clerk, assisting Mr. (afterwards Sir) Henry Cole, his brother-in-law, in the arrangement of the public records when they were transferred from Whitehall to the Royal Riding School of Carlton House. He was senior assistant keeper of her majesty's record office at the time of his death, which occurred on 9 Dec. 1833. He compiled a useful work of reference entitled 'Handy Book of Rules and Tables for verifying dates of historical events, and of public and private documents; giving tables of regnal years of English sovereigns, with leading dates, from the Conquest to the present time,' London, 1866, 1869, and 1875. 8vo.

[Times 11 Dec. 1883; Cat. of Printed Books. in Brit. Mus.]

T. C.

BOND, JOHN LINNELL (1766–1837), architect, was educated at the Royal Academy, where he gained a gold medal in 1786. He occasionally exhibited at the academy up to 1797. After devoting some years to the study of ancient architecture in Italy and Greece commenced the practice of his profession in London, and designed several large mansions. He also prepared the architectural design for Waterloo Bridge. To the 'Literary Gazette' he contributed a number of papers on architectural subjects. He was well versed in the classics and left behind him a translation of Vitruvius. He died in Newman Street, 6 Nov. 1837.

[Gent. Mag. new ser. viii. 655; Literary Gazette for 1837, p. 724; Redgrave's Dictionary of Artists of the English School, pp. 46-7.]

BOND, MARTIN (1558–1643), merchant of London, was son of William Bond, an alderman of London and merchant adventurer, who was sheriff in 1567; owned Crosby Place, Bishopsgate, to which he added a turret; died 30 May 1576, and was buried 14 June in St. Helen's Church, Bishopsgate. The epitaph on the monument erected to his memory describes him as 'most famous in his age for his great adventures both by sea and land.' Martin Bond was born in 1858. He was, like his father a merchant adventurer, and belonged to the Haberdashers' Company. As a captain of the train-bands of the city he marched at their head to Tilbury in 1588, and remained chief captain till his death. He laid the foundation-stone of the new Aldgate in 1607. Some Roman coins were found, and Bond caused two to be copied as medallions in stone, and placed them as decorations on