Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 21.djvu/337

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been validated.
Gilbert
Gilbert
331

daughter of Bennet Sherard, esq., of Whissendine, by Dorothy, daughter of Henry, lord Fairfax, who predeceased him. His only child Emma was married on 6 Aug. 1761 to George, third baron Mount-Edgcumbe, at her father's house at Twickenham, three days before his death. Gilbert's only publications were occasional sermons: (1) on the consecration of Bishop Stephen Weston of Exeter, on 2 Tim. i. 7, 1724; (2) before the House of Lords on 30 Jan., Eph. iv. 26, 1742; (3) for the education of the poor of the city of London, Gal. vi. 10, 1743; (4) for the Society for Promoting the Gospel, Rom. i. 16, 1744; (5) for the London Infirmary, Matt. vii. 12, 1745; (6) on the general fast, Lev. viii. 24, 17 Feb. 1758–9. There are portraits of Bishop Gilbert, in the robes of the chancellor of the order of the Garter, in the great dining-room of the palace of Salisbury, in the hall of Christ Church, Oxford, and at Mount-Edgcumbe.

[Abbey's English Church and her Bishops, ii. 47; Cassan's Lives of the Bishops of Salisbury, ii. 268 seq.; Bishop Newton's Autobiog.; Horace Walpole's Last Ten Years of George II; Gent. Mag. 1740 (index), 1773 p. 438.]

E. V.

GILBERT, JOHN GRAHAM- (1704–1806). [see Graham-Gilbert.]

GILBERT, JOSEPH (1779–1852), congregational divine, born in the parish of Wrangle, Lincolnshire, on 20 March 1779, was son of a farmer who had come under the influence of Wesley. After receiving some education at a free school on the confines of the parishes of Wrangle and Leake, he was apprenticed to a general shopkeeper at Burgh. On the expiration of his term he became assistant in a shop at East Retford, Nottinghamshire, of which he by-and-by became proprietor. Here he began to associate with a small body of congregationalists, for whom he sometimes preached. In 1806 he gave up business and entered Rotherham College. In 1808, at the request of Dr. Edward Williams [q. v.], its principal, he published his first book, a reply to a work by the Rev. William Bennet, entitled ‘Remarks on a recent Hypothesis respecting the Origin of Moral Evil, in a Series of Letters to the Rev. Dr. Williams, the author of that Hypothesis.’ His college course finished, he became minister at Southend, Essex. After a residence of eighteen months there he was appointed classical tutor in Rotherham College. On 8 Dec. 1818 he was ordained pastor of the Nether Chapel, Sheffield, still retaining the tutorship, spending the Sundays and Mondays in Sheffield and the rest of the week at Rotherham. In July 1817 he became minister of Fish Street Chapel, Hull, during his pastorate of which he published, in 1825, a ‘Life of Dr. Williams,’ his old friend and preceptor. In November 1825 he removed to James Street Chapel, Nottingham. A new meeting-house was built for him in April 1828 in Friar Lane, Nottingham, and in this he ministered thenceforth. In 1835 he delivered in London the course of congregational lectures by which he is now best known, entitled ‘The Christian Atonement, its Basis, Nature, and Bearings, or the Principle of Substitution illustrated as applied in the Redemption of Man’ (London, 1836). His health giving way, he resigned his charge in November 1851, and he died on Sunday, 12 Dec. 1852.

He was twice married, in May 1800 to Miss Sarah Chapman, daughter of a surgeon at Burgh, and in December 1813 to Ann, eldest daughter of the Rev. Isaac Taylor of Ongar [see Gilbert, Mrs. Ann].

In addition to the works already mentioned he published during his Rotherham tutorship a sermon on ‘The Power of God in the Soul of Man.’ After his death one of his sons issued ‘Recollections of Discourses’ which he preached in the years of 1848–50, with ‘A Biographical Sketch’ by his widow prefixed (small 8vo, London, 1853).

[Biographical sketch, as above.]

T. H.

GILBERT, JOSEPH FRANCIS (1792–1855), painter, born in 1792, took up art amidst great family difficulties. In 1813 he was residing at High Street, Portsmouth, and exhibited at the Royal Academy a ‘Landscape and Figures.’ In 1814 he sent ‘The Rustic Traveller crossing the Style,’ and occasionally exhibited in the following years. Subsequently he removed to Sussex, and resided for many years at Chichester. He continued to exhibit at the British Institution, Suffolk Street, Royal Manchester Institution, and other exhibitions, principally views in Sussex. Some of his works have been engraved, including ‘A View of the Ruins of Cowdray’ (by T. Clark), ‘Priam winning the Gold Cup,’ ‘The Goodwood Race-course,’ &c. In 1847 he was a competitor at Westminster Hall with an oil-painting of ‘Edwin and Emma’ from Mallet's poem. He died 25 Sept. 1855, in his sixty-fourth year.

[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Graves's Dict. of Artists, 1760–1880; catalogues of exhibitions.]

L. C.

GILBERT, MARIE DOLORES ELIZA ROSANNA (1818–1861), dancer and adventuress, known by her stage name of Lola Montez, was born at Limerick in 1818. Her father, Edward Gilbert, was gazetted an ensign in the 44th foot on 10 Oct. 1822, and