Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 21.djvu/73

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
Gatliff
Gatty
67

of Sculpture.’ He died from dysentery at Rome on 28 June 1863, and was buried in the English cemetery. His portrait, painted by a Portuguese artist named Da Costa, is in the sculptor's old home at Kerridge. His statue of ‘Echo’ is in the Peel Park Museum at Salford, and there also are a marble group of ‘A Boy leading a Bull to Sacrifice,’ and busts of Euripides and Paris copied in marble from antiques in the Vatican at Rome.

[‘Our Sculptor Friend,’ by Miss M. A. Sumner, in Aunt Judy's Magazine, October 1885, pp. 722–736; Queen, 18 July 1863; Art Journal, 1863, p. 181; Athenæum, 1863, ii. 117; Royal Academy Exhibition Catalogues, 1841–53.]

R. E. G.

GATLIFF, JAMES (1766–1831), clergyman, the son of James Gatliff of Manchester, ‘chapman,’ was baptised at St. Anne's Church, Manchester, 20 Sept. 1766, and educated at the Manchester grammar school. After serving in the militia he took holy orders, and in 1802, through the influence of his brother John, who was a fellow of the Manchester Collegiate Church, obtained the stipendiary curacy of Gorton Chapel near Manchester, and subsequently the incumbency of St. Thomas's Chapel, Heaton Norris. In 1808 he succeeded to the perpetual curacy of Gorton. He published a new edition of William Wogan's ‘Essay on the Proper Lessons,’ with a memoir of the author, 4 vols., 1818, which involved him in pecuniary difficulties with his publisher, and led to his imprisonment for debt and the sequestration of his living. After his liberation he published a statement of his case with the strange title of ‘A Firm Attempt at Investigation; or the Twinkling Effects of a Falling Star to relieve the Cheshire Full-Moon’ (i.e. the bishop of Chester), Manchester, 1820, 8vo. For some years he eked out a livelihood by preaching in Scotland, and in 1826 he returned to Gorton. In the following year he published ‘Observations on the Life and Character of George Canning, delivered in a Discourse at Gorton Chapel.’ He died in April 1831, and was buried in the chancel of his chapel.

[Booker's Didsbury (Chetham Soc.), p. 190; J. F. Smith's Reg. Manchester Grammar School (Chetham Soc.), i. 164, ii. 284, iii. 343; Higson's Gorton, 1852, pp. 130 seq.]

C. W. S.

GATTIE, HENRY (1774–1844), vocalist and actor, was born near Bath in 1774, and brought up to the trade of a wig-maker, but very early in life acquired a liking for the theatre. At the age of nineteen he had become well known at some musical associations. His first appearances on the stage were in vocal characters, such as Frederick in ‘No Song No Supper,’ Valentine in ‘The Farmer,’ and Captain Macheath. On 7 Nov. 1807 he came out at the Bath Theatre as Trot in Morton's comedy ‘Town and Country,’ and was next seen as Paul in ‘Paul and Virginia,’ but he soon settled down into playing as a general rule old men, Frenchmen, and Irishmen. Having been introduced by W. Lovegrove, the comedian, to Samuel James Arnold, the proprietor of the Lyceum Theatre, Gattie made his first appearance in London on 14 July 1813, in a new comic opera entitled ‘M.P., or the Blue Stocking,’ in which he took the character of La Fosse (Morning Post, 15 July 1813, p. 3), and afterwards played Sir Harry Sycamore and other old-men characters and footmen's parts. From this house he migrated to Drury Lane, where he was first seen, 6 Oct. 1813, as Vortex in ‘A Cure for the Heartache.’ He remained at Drury Lane until his retirement in 1833, filling up his summer vacations at the Haymarket, Lyceum, and other houses. At Drury Lane, where he was in the receipt of seven pounds a week, he was frequently the substitute for Munden, Dowton, Terry, and Charles Mathews, to none of whom, however, was he equal in talent. On 21 Aug. 1815 he took the part of the justice of the village in ‘The Maid and the Magpie’ at the Lyceum Theatre. His most celebrated and best-known impersonation was Monsieur Morbleu in Moncrieff's farce of ‘Monsieur Tonson,’ which was first played at Drury Lane on 20 Sept. 1821. His acting in this piece was much commended by George IV, who had commanded its performance on the occasion of a royal bespeak soon after its first production. Another of his characters was Dr. Caius in the ‘Merry Wives of Windsor.’ After a career of twenty-six years as an actor he retired from the stage in 1833, and opened a cigar-shop at Oxford, which became the resort of many of the collegians, by whom his dry humour was much appreciated. He was married, but had no family. His death took place at Reading 17 Nov. 1844, in the seventieth year of his age.

[Oxberry's Dramatic Biography (1826), iii. 37–46, with portrait; Genest, viii. 111, 399, ix. 96 et seq.; Era, 24 Nov. 1844, p. 6; Gent. Mag. December 1844, p. 654; Georgian Era, iv. 569.]

G. C. B.

GATTY, MARGARET (1809–1873), author of ‘Aunt Judy's Tales,’ youngest daughter and coheiress of the Rev. Alexander John Scott, D.D. [q. v.], Lord Nelson's chaplain in the Victory, was born at Burnham rectory, Essex, on 3 June 1809. Her mother died when she was two years old, and she