(Rolls Series); Trokelowe's Annals, pp. 128-7 (Rolls Series); Adam Murimuth, p. 39 (English Hist. Soc.); Walsingham's Hist. Anglic.; Parl. Writs, ii. iii. 971-2; Rymer's Fœdera, vol. i. (Record edit.); Doyle's Official Baronage, i. 325-326; Dugdale's Baronage, ii. 97-8; Thirty-first Rep. of Deputy -Keeper of the Records, pp. 277-8. Th e account in Pauli's Gescliichte von England , iv. 278, is rather incomplete.]
HARCOURT, CHARLES (1838–1880), actor, whose real name was Charles Parker Hillier, was born in June 1838. After obtaining some experience by acting with amateurs, he made his first public appearance at St. James's Theatre, London, on 30 March 1863, as Robert Audley in a dramatic version of Miss Braddon's novel ‘Lady Audley's Secret.’ In February 1866 he was seen at Drury Lane as Baron Steinfort in the ‘Stranger,’ in January 1867 as Frank Rochdale in ‘John Bull,’ and in March 1868 as Count Henry de Villetaneuve in the ‘Prisoner of Toulon.’ He had engagements at the Royalty Theatre, at the Strand, at the Charing Cross, 1872, and at the Globe in the following year. From Easter 1871 to Easter 1872 he was the lessee of the Marylebone Theatre. Some of the most important parts he played were Captain Absolute at the Charing Cross, November 1872; Claude Melnotte at the Haymarket, May 1876; Pygmalion in the revival of Gilbert's ‘Pygmalion and Galatea’ at the same house, January 1877; and Count d'Aubeterre in ‘Proof’ at the Adelphi, 1878. He afterwards appeared as Mercutio in ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ a part which he acted with spirit and discretion, and of which after the death of George Vining he was the best exponent. His last impersonation was the outcast Bashford in ‘The World’ at Drury Lane, 1880. He was an able, vigorous, and conscientious actor. From January 1880 he was the secretary of the National Dramatic Academy. On 18 Oct. 1880 he, while rehearsing the character of Horatio at the Haymarket Theatre, fell into the scene dock at the back of the stage, inadvertently left open. He died of erysipelas on 28 Oct. at the Charing Cross Hospital, and was buried at Highgate cemetery on 2 Nov., leaving a widow and one daughter.
[Pascoe's Dramatic List, 1880, p. 164; Graphic, 6 Nov. 1880, pp. 437, 438, with portrait; Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, 6 Nov. 1880, p. 173, with portrait; Times, 29 Oct. 1880, p. 6 and 2 Nov. p. 10; Era, 31 Oct. 1880, p. 8, and 7 Nov. p. 8.]
HARCOURT, EDWARD (1757–1847), archbishop of York, youngest son of George Vernon, first Lord Vernon, who died 21 Aug 1780, by his third wife, Martha, third daughter of the Hon. Simon Harcourt, was born at Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire, 10 Oct. 1757. He was educated at Westminster; matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford, 2 July 1774; was elected fellow of All Souls College in 1777; and graduated B.C.L. 27 April 1786, and D.C.L. 4 May following. After his ordination he was instituted to the family living of Sudbury. He became a canon of Christ Church, Oxford, 13 Oct. 1785, and a prebendary of Gloucester on 10 Nov. in the same year; he resigned his prebendal stall in 1791, but held his other appointments to 1808. On 18 Aug. 1791 he was nominated bishop of Carlisle in succession to Dr. John Douglas, and was consecrated on 6 Nov. following. For sixteen years he administered the affairs of the see of Carlisle with good sense and discretion, spending more than the whole income of the see upon the wants of his diocese. After the death of Archbishop William Markham, Vernon was nominated, 26 Nov. 1807, archbishop of York, and was confirmed in St. James's Church, Westminster, 19 Jan. 1808. In the same year, on 20 Jan., he was gazetted a privy councillor, and made Lord high almoner to George III, an office which he afterwards held under Queen Victoria. Harcourt was a member of the queen's council who had charge of George III during his illness. He was an eloquent speaker, and occasionally spoke in the House of Lords on ecclesiastical matters, but usually abstained from political contentions. He lived under five successive monarchs, and was respected for benevolence and simplicity of character. On 15 Jan. 1831 by sign-manual he took the surname of Harcourt only on inheriting the large estates of the Harcourt family, which came to him on the death of his cousin, Field-marshal William, third and last Earl Harcourt [q. v.] In 1835 he was appointed one of the first members of the ecclesiastical commission. In 1838 he was offered the renewal of the Harcourt peerage, but declined it, not wishing to be fettered in his parliamentary votes. York Minster was twice burnt down during his primacy, 1829 and 1841, and he contributed largely to both restorations. Archbishop Harcourt preached his valedictory sermon in York Minster on 13 Nov. 1838; he, however, continued to enjoy good health, and as late as 1 Nov. 1847 visited York and inspected the repairs of the chapterhouse. He died at the palace, Bishopthorpe, near York, on 5 Nov. 1847, and was buried at Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire, 13 Nov. His portrait by Hoppner was engraved in 1804 by C. Turner in a large folio size. Other portraits are by Owen at Bishopthorpe; by J. Jackson, R. A., at Castle How-