1395 he held the prebend of Duffus, and in 1396 he was also archdeacon of Caithness. He desired to go to Paris to study canon law, and, ‘inasmuch as the fruits of his archdeaconry were not sufficient to enable him to fulfil his wish,’ Alexander Bar, bishop of Moray, gave a grant of certain of the tithes of that diocese by way of an exhibition (‘ad exhibendum Joanni de Innes in studio Parisiensi’). He returned by 1397, when he was judge in a question of tithe between William de Spynie, bishop of Moray, and the vicar of Elgin. On 23 Jan. 1406 he was consecrated bishop of Moray at Avignon by Pope Benedict XIII. In the list (dated 1437) of the bishops of Moray he is described as ‘bachelor in both laws and in arts.’ He died at Elgin on 25 April 1414, and was buried in his cathedral, where his monument, now demolished, told how during his seven years' episcopate he had strenuously pushed on the rebuilding of that noble church, which had been burned in 1390 by Alexander Stewart, ‘the Wolf of Badenoch’ [q. v.] At the chapter held to elect his successor the canons agreed that if any of them should be elected he should devote the third of his revenue to the completion of the cathedral. The older part of the bishop's palace at Elgin and the beautiful gateway at the palace of Spynie are Innes's work. His arms show the three stars of Innes on a bend between three keys; the shield is surmounted, not by a mitre, but by a pastoral staff. The Greyfriars Church at Elgin, sometimes attributed to him, was founded by another John Innes fifty years later.
[Chartulary of Moray; Familie of Innes (Spalding Club); Keith's Catalogue; Young's Annals of Elgin; m'Gibbon and Ross's Castellated Architecture of Scotland.]
INNES, JOHN (1739–1777), anatomist, was born in 1739 at Callart in the highlands of Scotland. He went to Edinburgh as a boy, and was employed by the second Dr. Alexander Monro [q. v.], then professor of anatomy in the university. He became a dexterous dissector, and when eighteen was made dissector to the anatomical theatre. It was his duty to dissect out the parts for each of the professor's lectures, and he thus acquired a minute knowledge of human anatomy. The students liked him, and with the consent of his employer he used to give evening demonstrations of anatomy, and became so famous for the clearness of his descriptions that his audience numbered nearly two hundred students. In 1776 he published at Edinburgh ‘A Short Description of the Human Muscles, chiefly as they appear on Dissection,’ and this book, with some additions by Dr. Monro, continued to be used in the dissecting rooms at Edinburgh for fifty years after his death. Though its descriptions in places show signs of being written by a man without literary education, they are generally terse and lucid, and copies of the book often bear evidence that it was placed, as intended by the author, upon the body which the student was dissecting. Later in the same year he published ‘Eight Anatomical Tables of the Human Body.’ The plates represent the skeleton and muscles, and are copied from Albinus, with brief original descriptions of each plate. Both books were published in second editions by John Murray in London in 1778 and 1779 respectively. After a long illness Innes died of phthisis, 12 Jan. 1777, in Edinburgh.
[Works; Memoir by Dr. Alexander Monro prefixed to both works.]
INNES, LEWIS (1651–1738), principal of the Scots College in Paris, born at Walkerdales, in the Enzie of Banff, in 1651, was the eldest son of James Innes, wadsetter, of Drumgask in the parish of Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, by his wife, Jane Robertson, daughter of a merchant in Aberdeen. The family of Drumgask was descended from the Inneses of Drainie in the county of Moray. Lewis's father held Drumgask in mortgage from the Earl of Aboyne, but it afterwards became the irredeemable property of the family. Lewis studied for the Roman catholic priesthood at Paris, and on the death of Robert Barclay in February 1682 he was appointed principal of the Scots College there. Along with his brother, Thomas Innes [q. v.], he devoted himself to the preservation and arrangement of the records in the college library. He took a conspicuous part in the proceedings connected with the vindication of the authenticity of the famous charter which established the legitimacy of King Robert III. He carried this charter to St. Germains, where it was shown to James II and the nobility and gentry of his court. Afterwards he submitted it to an examination by the most famous antiquaries of France, including Renandot, Baluze, Mabillon, and Ruinart, in the presence of several of the Scottish nobility and gentry, at a solemn assembly held in the abbey of St. Germain-des-Près, on 26 May 1694. The document was printed by him, under the title of ‘Charta authentica Roberti Seneschalli Scotiæ; ex Archivio Collegii Scotorum Parisiensis edita,’ Paris, 1695, 4to. Innes is said to have been one of five who acted as a cabinet council to James II at St. Germains on the king's return from Ireland in 1690. On 11 Nov. 1701 he was admitted