tration of ancient costumes, consisting chiefly of drawings from monuments, sepulchral brasses, stained windows, seals, and armour. These are contained in forty-eight volumes of various sizes, Addit. MSS. 6728–73. The volumes 6760–73, which form part of the legacy, contain the collections of James Essex [q. v.], architect, of Cambridge. The vol. 6735 contains drawings and plans by Kerrich of various ecclesiastical buildings, and of English castles and camps illustrative of military architecture. Kerrich's son presented his father's large collection of coins to the Society of Antiquaries, and bequeathed to the Fitzwilliam Museum at Cambridge seven pictures, two hundred volumes of books, and many valuable portfolios of early prints.
To the ‘Archæologia’ Kerrich contributed: 1. ‘Some Observations on the Gothic Buildings abroad, particularly those in Italy, and on Gothic Architecture in General,’ 1809, xvi. 292–325, illustrated by eighteen plates of sketches and sections of cathedrals. 2. ‘Account of some Lids of Stone Coffins discovered in Cambridge Castle in 1810,’ with two plates, 1813, xvii. 228. 3. ‘Observations upon some Sepulchral Monuments in Italy and France,’ 1814, xviii. 186–96, accompanied by eight plates either etched by Kerrich or copied from his etchings. 4. ‘Observations on the use of the mysterious figure called Vesica Piscis in the Architecture of the Middle Ages, and in Gothic Architecture,’ 1820, xix. 353–368, accompanied by fifteen plates containing no fewer than sixty-five drafts of the ground plans and arches of ancient ecclesiastical edifices, both abroad and at home.
A posthumous work of his is entitled ‘A Catalogue of the Prints which have been engraved after Martin Heemskerck; or rather, an Essay towards such a Catalogue,’ Cambridge, 1829, 8vo.
The portraits of Robert Glynn (afterwards Clobery), M.D. [q. v.], Thomas Wale of Shelford, Dr. Waring, Joseph Browne [q. v.], Isaac Milner [q. v.], William Pearce [q. v.], James Bentham, Robert Masters, Dr. Hill, and William Cole [q. v.] were engraved by the brothers Facius, from drawings by Kerrich. A portrait of Kerrich, painted by H. P. Briggs, R.A. [q. v.], and formerly in the possession of Mrs. F. M. Hartshorne, was engraved by Facius in folio, and is copied in Nichols's ‘Literary Illustrations.’ There is a replica of Briggs's portrait in Magdalene College, Cambridge.
[Private information; Addit. MSS. 5824 f. 126 b, 5855 pp. 108, 109, 5874 f. 69 b; Cooper's Annals of Cambridge, iv. 557; Gent. Mag. xcviii. pt. ii. p. 185, new series, iv. 332; Graduati Cantabr.; Gunning's Reminiscences, ii. 76–8; Nichols's Lit. Illustr.; Nichols's Lit. Anecd.; Wilson's Miscellanies (Raines), p. 161.]
KERRISON, Sir EDWARD (1774–1853), general, only son of Matthias Kerrison, by Mary, daughter of Edward Barnes of Barnham, Suffolk, was born at his father's seat, Hexne Hall, near Bungay, in 1774. He entered the army as cornet in the 6th dragoons on 23 June 1796. He attained the rank of captain in October 1798, and was transferred to the 7th hussars in the same year. With the last-mentioned regiment he served in the Helder expedition of 1799, taking part in the actions of 19 Sept. and 2 and 6 Oct. In October 1808, being then lieutenant-colonel, he embarked with his regiment for Spain, and in the following December was severely wounded on the plains of Leon. He commanded his regiment at the passage of the Oleron, in the action of Sauveterne, and at the battles of Orthes and Toulouse. At the battle of Orthes the charge headed by Lord Edward Somerset, in which Kerrison with the 7th hussars took the chief part, was highly commended by the Duke of Wellington (Despatches, vii. 440).
Kerrison next served in the campaign of 1815, and was slightly wounded at Waterloo, where his horse was shot under him; but he continued with his regiment, and took part in the occupation of Paris. On his return to England he was nominated a commander of the Bath, and knighted 5 Jan. 1816. He was subsequently created a baronet by patent dated 27 July 1821. He represented the borough of Shaftesbury from 1812 to 1818, that of Northampton from 1818 to 1824, and Eye from 1824 to 1852, in the conservative interest. Promoted to the rank of lieutenant-general in 1837, he became general in 1851, and died at his house in Great Stanhope Street, London, on 9 March 1853.
Kerrison married, on 20 Oct. 1813, Mary Martha, daughter of Alexander Ellice of Pittencrieff, Fifeshire. By her he had issue one son, Edward Clarence Kerrison (b. 1821), present baronet, and three daughters, the second of whom, Emily Harriet (d. 1873), married in 1834 Philip Henry, Viscount Mahon, the historian, afterwards fifth earl Stanhope [q. v.]
[Ann. Reg. 1853, p. 219; Gent. Mag. 1853, i. 542; United Service Gaz. 1853; Foster's Peerage and Baronetage; Cannon's Hist. Records of British Army (7th Hussars), pp. 75, 78.]
KERRY, Knights of. [See Fitzgerald, Maurice, 1774–1849;Fitzgerald, Sir Peter George, 1808–1880.]
KERRY, Lords. [See Fitzmaurice, Thomas, 1502–1590; Fitz-