then occupied by Queen Victoria, he obtained her patronage. She selected him to paint a picture as a wedding gift to the princess royal in 1858, and he also contributed some sketches for the royal album of drawings. He exhibited a few pictures at the Royal Academy in 1855 and the following years, but on 1 March 1858 he was elected an associate of the ‘Old’ Society of Painters in Water-colours. From this time he was a constant and prolific contributor to their exhibitions, though he did not attain full membership till 24 March 1879. A winter scene, ‘Mountain Gloom,’ painted in the Pass of Glencoe under trying circumstances, attracted notice in 1860. In 1862 Newton visited the Riviera and Italy, finding there many subjects for his later pictures. In 1880 his picture of ‘The Mountain Pass’ was much commended. In 1882, though in failing health, Newton visited Athens, painting there, among other pictures, one called ‘Shattered Desolation.’ Newton married in 1864 the daughter of Edward Wylie of 14 Rock Park, Rockferry, Liverpool, by whom he had five children. He died at his father-in-law's house on 9 Sept. 1883, aged 53. A portrait of him appeared in the ‘Illustrated London News’ on 27 Oct. 1883.
[Roget's Hist. of the ‘Old’ Water-Colour Society; Illustr. London News, 27 Oct. 1883.]
NEWTON, ANN MARY (1832–1866), painter, born at Rome on 29 June 1832, was daughter of Joseph Severn [q. v.], painter, and British consul at Rome, by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Archibald, lord Montgomerie (d. 1814) [see under Montgomerie, Hugh, twelfth Earl of Eglinton]. She learnt drawing as a child from her father, copying engravings by Albert Dürer, or after Michael Angelo and Raphael. Subsequently she showed talent for drawing portraits, and was assisted by George Richmond, R.A., who lent her some of his portraits to copy, and employed her also for the same purpose. At the age of twenty-three or twenty-four she went to Paris, and studied under Ary Scheffer, gaining much commendation from that painter for her skill in drawing. In Paris she painted a portrait in water-colours of the Countess of Elgin, which was much admired, and gained her numerous commissions on her return to England, including various portraits and drawings for the royal family. She exhibited pictures at the Royal Academy in 1852, 1855, and 1856. Miss Severn married 27 April 1861 at St. Michael's, Chester Square, Mr. (afterwards Sir) Charles Thomas Newton, who had just relinquished his post in the consular service to resume work as keeper of the classical antiquities at the British Museum. After her marriage Mrs. Newton devoted most of her time to making drawings of the antiquities at the British Museum for her husband's books and lectures, a task which an early study of the Elgin marbles and a considerable literary and historical training rendered congenial to her. She showed in these drawings a refined and intelligent appreciation of the highest qualities in Greek art. She also painted a few portraits in oil and figure subjects, one of which she exhibited at the Royal Academy, and made many sketches when travelling with her husband in Greece and Asia Minor. She died of measles at 37 Gower Street, Bedford Square, on 2 Jan. 1866.
[Times, 23 Jan. 1866; private information.]
NEWTON, BENJAMIN (1677–1735), divine, was born at Leicester 8 Dec. 1677. His father, John Newton, fellow of Clare Hall, Cambridge, was vicar of St. Martin's, Leicester, and master of Sir William Wigston's Hospital there. He was afterwards rector of Taynton, and prebendary of Gloucester (installed 24 Sept. 1690). He died 20 Sept. 1711, aged 73. Benjamin was educated at the grammar school in Leicester. His memory was remarkably retentive, and he was a promising pupil. On 29 Jan. 1694 he was admitted sub-sizar at Clare Hall, Cambridge. He proceeded B.A. in 1698, and M.A. on 7 July 1702. In 1704 he was presented by Sir Nathan Wright, lord keeper of the great seal, to the small crown living of Allington, Lincolnshire. He married in 1707, and the following year settled in Gloucester, being elected by the corporation to the large parish of St. Nicholas, and being installed a minor canon of the cathedral.
In December 1709 Newton succeeded to the living of Taynton, Gloucestershire, by the gift of the dean and chapter. On 3 Aug. 1712 he was appointed head-master of the King's School at Gloucester, and resigned his stall. But teaching soon grew irksome to him, and voluntarily retiring from the headmastership in September 1718, he devoted himself to study. He was reinstalled minor canon on 30 Nov. 1723. On 29 Sept. 1731 he became librarian of the cathedral library, and on 29 Jan. 1732–3 was presented to the vicarage of Lantwit Major, Glamorganshire. He thereupon resigned the living of Taynton, but still chiefly resided in Gloucester, where he retained the rectory of St. Nicholas. At the end of March 1735 he was seized with pleurisy, and died on Good Fri-