of a near relative prevented its actual delivery, but it was printed and circulated. A similar task was assiraed to him at the Moore centenary in 1878; twenty-one years before he had made the principal speech on the unveiling of Moore's statue in Dublin. In Irish educational questions he took an active interest, and supported the Irish Intermediate Education and University Education Bills in the House of Lords (28 June 1878, 8 July 1879). He was one of the original members of the intermediate education board established in 1878, and its first vice-chairman, and was appointed one of the senators of the Royal University of Ireland on its foundation in 1880. At the first meeting of the senate he was elected vice-chancellor, and from that time forward constantly presided at the meetings of the senate and the council. In May 1880, on the return of Mr. Gladstone to office, he again became lord-chancellor of Ireland, and in the following year strongly supported the Irish Land Bill in the House of Lords, describing it as 'the most important measure that since the time of the union had been conceded to Ireland' (1 Aug. 1881). He resigned the chancellorship in November of that year owing to failing healthy but still continued to attend the judicial sittings of the House of Lords. He was made a knight of St. Patrick in 1881, and elected an honorary bencher of Gray's Inn in 1883. He died on 1 Feb. 1885, at his town residence, Hereford House, Park Street, London. His body was removed to Dublin, and buried in Glasnevin cemetery.
O'Hagan's manners were genial and conciliatory. He never indulged in asperity of speech or demeanour towards his opponents, and almost invariably enjoyed their esteem and good will. As a politician his career was honourable and consistent. His professional advancement was not due to politics; he had already reached the highest place at the bar before he sought a seat in parliament. From the time of the collapse of the repeal movement, he supported an alliance between the popular party in Ireland and the English liberals, and he lived to see the Irish measures which he most desired passed as the result of that alliance. His papers and addresses and his principal speeches and arguments are collected in 'Occasional Papers and Addresses by Lord O'Hagan,' 1884; and 'Selected Speeches and Arguments of Lord O'Hagan,' edited by George Teeling, 1886.
He was twice married: first, in 1836, to Mary, daughter of Charles Hamilton Teeling of Belfast; and, secondly, in 1871, to Alice Mary, youngest daughter and coheiress of Colonel Towneley of Towneley, Lancashire. By his first marriage, one daughter only survived him, the wife of Mr. Justice John O'Hagan [q. v.]; by his second marriage he left several children, of whom the eldest son (Thomas Towneley) is now second Baron O'Hagan. His statue, by Farrell, is in the Four Courts, Dublin; his portrait, by Mr. George Richmond, is in the possession of his family.
[Times, 2 Feb. 1886; Freeman's Journal, 2 Feb. 1885; Tablet, 7 Feb. 1886; Annual Register, 1885; Report of the Trial of the Rev. Vladimir Petcherine, by James Doyle, Dublin, 1866; Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 1894; private information.]
O'HAINGLI, DONAT, called by the 'Four Masters' Donngus (d. 1095), bishop of Dublin, was a member of a family whose home was at Cinél Dobhth, co. Roscommon. He had been a student in Ireland, but, proceeding to England, became a monk of the Benedictine order, and lived for some time at Lanfranc's monastery at Canterbury. On the death of Patrick, bishop of Dublin, who was drowned on his way to England on 10 Oct. 1084, O'Haingley was elected to succeed him by Turlough O'Brien [q. v.] and the clergy and people of Dublin. He seems to have been recommended by Lanfranc, who was anxious for the reform of several Irish practices. He was sent for consecration to Lanfranc, with a letter from his patrons explaining that, as Patrick was prevented by death from reporting to him how far the abuses complained of had been remedied, Donat would give him the information. He was consecrated in Canterbury Cathedral in 1086, having made a profession of canonical obedience as follows: 'I, Donat, bishop of Dublin in Ireland, promise canonical obedience to thee, Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, and to thy successors.' When returning to Dublin, Lanfranc gave him a present of books and ornaments for his cathedral of the Holy Trinity. He died on 23 Nov. 1096 of the Seat plague, which, according to the 'Four Masters,' carried off a fourth part of the people of Ireland.
He was succeeded by his nephew, Samuel O'Haingli, who also had been a Benedictine monk, and was a member of the community of St. Albans. He was elected by Murtough O'Brien [q. v.] and the clergy and people of Dublin, and was recommended to Anselm, archbishop of Canterbury, for consecration. Anselm received him into his house, gave him instruction in ecclesiastical matters, and subsequently, on the Sunday after Easter 1096, assisted by four bishops, consecrated him in the cathedral of Win-