of England, pp. 29, 30; Gent. Mag. September 1776, p. 436; Monthly Review, lxix. 443.]
PARRY, Sir LOVE PARRY JONES (1781–1853), lieutenant-general, born in London in 1781, was son of Thomas Jones of Lwynen, Denbighshire, who acquired the estate of Madryn Park, Carnarvonshire, by his marriage with his cousin Margaret Parry, and, together with his children, took the additional surname of Parry in 1803. Love Parry Jones entered Westminster School in 1796, and obtained a scholarship at Trinity College, Cambridge. Preferring Oxford, he entered as a gentleman commoner at Christ Church, Oxford, on 8 May 1799, where he graduated B.A. in 1803 and M.A. 1811. In 1802 he also entered as a student at Lincoln's Inn.
All this time he was a captain in the army on half-pay, having been appointed ensign, lieutenant, and captain in the 81st foot in 1794 at the age of twelve, and immediately afterwards placed on half-pay of a disbanded regiment under the names of ‘Parry Jones.’ On 28 Aug. 1804 he was appointed major of the 90th foot. In 1806 he was returned M.P. for Horsham, Sussex, as a whig, and made his first speech in support of Mr. Windham's bill for introducing short service in the army. He was again returned for Horsham in 1807, but was unseated on petition. After serving with the second battalion 90th for some years, he became brevet lieutenant-colonel on 4 June 1811, and was appointed major of the old 103rd foot in America (afterwards disbanded as the 102nd). He commanded a brigade on the Canadian frontier during the war of 1812–14, had a horse shot under him at the battle of Lundy's Lane (Niagara) on 18 Dec. 1813, and was several times mentioned in despatches. At the end of the war he retired as lieutenant-colonel half-pay 6th garrison battalion. He became colonel in 1825, major-general 1837, and lieutenant-general 1846. He was made a knight bachelor and K.H. in 1835, but through some mistake his knighthood was never recognised in the army list. He represented Carmarthen in parliament in 1835–40, and was high sheriff of the county in the latter year. In 1841 he unsuccessfully contested Shrewsbury, Disraeli (afterwards Lord Beaconsfield) being one of his opponents. Parry died on 23 Jan. 1853.
He married, first, in 1806, Sophia, only daughter of Robert Stevenson of Binfield, Berkshire, by whom he had a son and three daughters; secondly, in 1826, Elizabeth, only daughter of Thomas Caldecott of Lincoln, by whom he left a son and daughter.
Parry's brother, William Parry Jones Parry, who afterwards took the name of Yale, served through the Peninsular war with the 48th foot, and received a gold medal for having as a captain commanded one of the battalions of that regiment at the battle of Albuera in 1811.
[Burke's Landed Gentry, 1886 ed. vol. ii.; Alumni Westmon.; Foster's Alumni Oxon.; Army Lists and London Gazettes, under dates; Gent. Mag. 1853 i. p. 312.]
PARRY, RICHARD (1560–1623), bishop of St. Asaph, was the son of John ap Harri or Parry of Pwllhalog (in the parish of Cwm, Flintshire) and of Ruthin, and Elen, daughter of Dafydd ap John of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, his wife. He was born in 1560, educated at Westminster School, and in 1579 elected a student of Christ Church, Oxford. Matriculating at that university on 20 Nov. 1580, he graduated B.A. on 5 Feb. 1583–4, and on 1 May was ordained deacon by Bishop Robinson of Bangor. On 4 May he was instituted to the comportion of Llanelidan in the diocese of Bangor, the endowment of Ruthin free school. While master of Ruthin he proceeded M.A. on 4 June 1586, became vicar of Gresford on 1 Jan. 1592–3, took the degree of B.D. on 4 March 1593–4, and on 24 Dec. 1594 (?) was made chancellor of Bangor. The latter office he resigned on 6 Jan. 1594–5. On 16 Nov. 1597 he received the degree of D.D., and on 11 April 1599 was installed dean of Bangor. When, in 1604, Bishop Morgan died, he became bishop of St. Asaph (elected 19 Oct., consecrated 30 Dec.), retaining also, in accordance with what had now become the custom at St. Asaph, the archdeaconry in his own hands. He continued to hold the vicarage of Gresford (resigned in 1609); other livings in the diocese held by him in commendam were Rhuddlan (1605–1618), Cilcen (the rectory, 1605–1622), Cwm (the rectory, 1610–1616), and Llanrwst (the rectory, 1616–1623). Bishop Parry is chiefly remembered as the author of a revised edition of the translation of the Bible into Welsh issued by Dr. Morgan in 1588. This edition was published by the king's printers in 1620, and since its appearance the text of the Welsh Bible has remained practically unaltered. Though the fact is not mentioned in Parry's dedication to the king, it is believed he received much assistance in the task of revision from his chaplain and brother-in-law, Dr. John Davies (d. 1644) [q. v.] of Mallwyd.
Parry died at his house at Diserth (whither he had removed in 1609) on 26 Sept. 1623,