[Authorities cited, and Photographic News, 20 Aug. 1880, pp. 402–3; Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, xi. 100; List of Members of the Society of Writers to the Signet, p. 168.]
POOLE, ARTHUR WILLIAM (1852–1885), missionary bishop, the son of Thomas Francis and Jane Poole, was born at Shrewsbury on 6 Aug. 1852, and educated at Shrewsbury school. At the age of seventeen he proceeded to Worcester College, Oxford, at Michaelmas 1869, and took a third class in classical moderations in 1871, and a third class in the final classical school in 1873. He graduated B.A. in 1873, M.A. in 1876, and D.D. in 1883. On leaving Oxford Poole became a tutor. Afterwards he thought of medicine as a profession; but in 1876, having abandoned a leaning towards the Plymouth brethren, he was ordained deacon, and licensed to the curacy of St. Aldate's, Oxford. Early in boyhood Poole had wished to be a missionary, and the old desire was renewed in March 1876 by an appeal for men to aid in educational work at Masulipatam. After some hesitation, Poole offered himself to the Church Missionary Society on 20 June 1876. He was accepted, and sailed for India in October 1877. At Masulipatam, Poole threw himself into the work of the Noble High School, fostered the growth of Christian literature in the vernacular, and made many friends among the educated natives. Early in 1879 signs of consumption showed themselves in Poole, and, after twice visiting the Neilgherry hills, he was invalided home in June 1880. There was little prospect of his being able to return to India, and he resigned in October 1882. At the anniversary meeting of the Church Missionary Society in May 1883 a speech by Poole attracted the attention of the archbishop of Canterbury, who offered him the missionary bishopric in Japan which it had just been resolved to establish. After much hesitation and reassuring reports from the medical board, Poole accepted the offer, and was consecrated at Lambeth on St. Luke's day 1883. He was warmly received in Japan, and at once began to visit the chief missionary stations in his diocese. But, his health failing, he spent the winter of 1884–1885 in California. He did not recover, but returned to England, and died at Shrewsbury on 14 July 1885. Poole married, in 1877, Sarah Ann Pearson, who survived him, and by her he had issue.
[Record, 17 July 1885; Church Missionary Intelligencer, November 1885; private information.]
POOLE, GEORGE AYLIFFE (1809–1883), divine and author, was born in 1809, and educated at Cambridge, where he was a scholar of Emmanuel College. He graduated B.A. in 1831, and proceeded M.A. in 1838 (Luard, Grad. Cantabr. p. 415). He took holy orders in 1832, and was curate successively of Twickenham, of St. John the Evangelist, Edinburgh, and of St. Chad's, Shrewsbury. On 16 March 1839 he was appointed perpetual curate of St. James's, Leeds (Foster, Index Eccl. p. 142). In 1843 he was presented to the vicarage of Welford, Northamptonshire, which he held until, in 1876, he was presented by the bishop of Peterborough to the rectory of Winwick, near Rugby, in the same county. He acted for a few years as rural dean of the district. He died at Winwick 25 Sept. 1883, having married a daughter of Jonathan Wilks of St. Ann's, Burley.
He was a strong high churchman; but the work of his life was to promote the revival of Gothic architecture, and, next to John Henry Parker and M. H. Bloxam, he was the most prominent among the literary advocates of this movement. He was, besides, a prolific writer on other subjects. His works, excluding various sermons and tracts, were: 1. ‘The Exile's Return; or a Cat's Journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh,’ a tale for children, Edinburgh, 1837, 12mo. 2. ‘The Testimony of St. Cyprian against Rome,’ London, 1838, 8vo. 3. ‘The Anglo-Catholic Use of Two Lights upon the Altar, for the signification that Christ is the very true Light of the World, stated and defended,’ London, 1840, 8vo. 4. ‘The Life and Times of St. Cyprian,’ Oxford, 1840, 8vo. 5. ‘On the present State of Parties in the Church of England, with especial reference to the alleged tendencies of the Oxford School to the Doctrines and Communion of Rome,’ London, 1841, 8vo. 6. ‘The Appropriate Character of Church Architecture,’ Leeds, 1842, 8vo; reissued in 1845 as ‘Churches: their Structure, Arrangement, and Decoration,’ London, 12mo. 7. ‘Churches of Yorkshire,’ described and edited (with others), 1842, 8vo. 8. ‘A History of the Church in America’ (part of vol. ii. of ‘The Christian's Miscellany’), Leeds, 1842, 8vo. 9. ‘A History of England, from the First Invasion by the Romans to the Accession of Queen Victoria,’ London, 1844–1845, 2 vols. 12mo. 10. ‘The Churches of Scarborough, Filey, and the Neighbourhood,’ London, 1848, 16mo (in collaboration with J. W. Hugall). 11. ‘A History of Ecclesiastical Architecture in England,’ London, 1848, 8vo. 12. ‘Sir Raoul de Broc and his Son Tristram,’ a tale of the twelfth century, London, 1849, 16mo. 13. ‘An historical