moted field marshal on 2 June 1877. In his later years he spent much time in examining the religious questions of the day and in denouncing atheism. He died at Paris on 16 Oct. 1885. The remains were buried with military honours on 23 Oct. 1885 in the family burial-place in the graveyard of the priory church of Christchurch, Hampshire. He was unmarried. His brother Sir William Rose, K.C.B., clerk of the parliament, survived him only a few weeks.
Rose was one of the bravest of men. He literally knew no fear. He was a fine soldier, and among the many commanders brought to light by the Indian mutiny he was certainly one of the best.
There is in the United Service Club, London, a painting of Lord Strathnairn, taken from a photograph by Bassano. There is also an engraving by Walton. The print of him which serves as a frontispiece to Sir Owen Burne's ‘Clyde and Strathnairn’ is considered a fair likeness. An equestrian bronze statue, by Mr. E. Onslow Ford, R.A., was erected at the junction of Knightsbridge and the Brompton Road, London, by his friends and comrades, and unveiled in June 1895. Strathnairn is represented in the uniform of a field marshal, Indian staff order, but at a period of life when he was full of vigour. The statue is cast from guns taken by the Central India field force, and presented for the purpose by the government of India. On the side panels are the principal battles, &c., in which he was engaged: ‘Syria 1842, Ascalon, El-Mesden, Der-El-Kammar, Abaye; Crimea 1854, Alma, Inkerman, Mamelon, Sebastopol; India, 1858, Rathgur, Saugor, Gurrakota, Mudenpore, Chandari, Betwas, Jansi, Koonch, Calpee, Morar, and Gwalior.’
[War Office Records; India Office Records; Foreign Office Papers; Despatches; Malleson's Hist. of the Indian Mutiny; Burne's Clyde and Strathnairn; Memoir by Burne in Asiatic Quarterly Mag. 1886; Times, 17 Oct. 1855.]
ROSE, HUGH JAMES (1795–1838), theologian, elder son of William Rose (1763–1844), successively curate of Little Horsted and Uckfield, Sussex, and from 1824 until his death vicar of Glynde in the same county, was born at the parsonage, Little Horsted, on 9 June 1795. He was of ancient Scottish lineage, his grandfather, who fought on the Jacobite side at Culloden, being a cadet of the Roses of Kilravock. He was educated at Uckfield school, of which his father was master, and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he went into residence in Michaelmas term 1813. In 1814 he gained the first Bell scholarship in the university, and next year was elected scholar of his college. He graduated B.A. in 1817, being first chancellor's medallist and fourteenth wrangler. In the same year he published ‘Remarks on the first Chapter of the Bishop of Llandaff's “Horæ Pelasgicæ” [by Bishop Marsh],’ which attracted some notice; in the following year his dissertation on the theme ‘Inter Græcos et Romanos Historiæ comparatione facta cujusnam stylus imitatione maxime dignus esse videtur’ gained the middle bachelors' members' prize. Missing his fellowship, Rose, who was ordained deacon on 20 Dec. 1818, took a cure of souls at Buxted, Sussex, on 16 March 1819. He received priest's orders on 19 Dec. 1819, and in 1821 was presented by Archbishop Manners-Sutton to the vicarage of Horsham, Sussex, where for two years he laboured with great devotion and success. At the same time he won some repute as a controversialist by his ‘Critical Examination of that part of Mr. Bentham's “Church of Englandism” which relates to the Church Catechism,’ 1820, and by his article on Hone's ‘Apocryphal New Testament’ in the ‘Quarterly Review,’ July 1821. For a year from May 1824 he was in Germany for the benefit of his health. In the course of his travels he made some acquaintance with the German rationalistic schools of theology, and on his return he delivered, as select preacher at Cambridge, four discourses, intended to forewarn and forearm the church of England against the rationalistic criticism of the continent. They were published in the course of the year under the title ‘The State of the Protestant Religion in Germany,’ Cambridge, 8vo, and elicited adverse criticism both in England and Germany [see Pusey, Edward Bouverie]. To his German critics Rose replied in an ‘Appendix to the State of the Protestant Religion in Germany,’ 1828, 8vo; and to Pusey in ‘A Letter to the Lord Bishop of London,’ 1829, 8vo, and also in an enlarged edition of his book published the same year. In 1828 appeared his ‘Commission and consequent Duties of the Clergy’ (four sermons in exposition of an exalted view of the Christian ministry, delivered by him as select preacher at Cambridge in 1826), London, 8vo; 2nd edit. 1831. Rose also held the office of select preacher at Cambridge in 1828, 1829, 1830, 1833, and 1834, uniting with it from 1829 to 1833 that of Christian advocate (for his contributions to apologetics see infra). On 23 Feb. 1827 he was collated to the prebend of Middleton in the church of Chichester, which he resigned in 1833. In 1830 he vacated the Horsham living on being instituted on 26 Jan. to the