Portrait Gallery contains a portrait of Judge Bailey by him. He was ordained in 1809, and gave up painting. He was forty years rector of Shepperton, Middlesex, and died on 14 Sept. 1870.
[John Russell, R.A., by George C. Williamson (with an introduction by Lord Ronald Gower), is based on his diary, supplemented by that of John Bacon, jun., son of John Bacon the sculptor, who was one of Russell's most intimate friends.]
RUSSELL, JOHN, D.D. (1787–1863), master of the Charterhouse, born in 1787, was son of John Russell (d. 26 April 1802), rector of Helmdon, Northamptonshire, and Ilmington, Warwickshire. He was educated at the Charterhouse school, where he was gold medallist in 1801, and matriculated from Christ Church, Oxford, on 3 May 1803. He graduated B.A. in 1806 and M.A. in 1809, took holy orders in 1810, and was appointed head master of the Charterhouse in 1811. Under his administration the school became extremely popular. In 1824 he had 480 boys under him. Among his pupils were George Grote, Sir Henry Havelock, and Thackeray, who immortalised the school as Grey Friars in the pages of ‘Vanity Fair,’ ‘The Newcomes,’ and other of his works, and outlined Russell's portrait in the stern but wise head master ‘of our time.’
In 1827 Russell was made a prebendary and afterwards canon residentiary of Canterbury, and resigned the head-mastership in 1832, on being presented to the rectory of St. Botolph's, Bishopsgate. He was president of Sion College in 1845 and 1846, and was treasurer of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, and a capable administrator of other societies. He held St. Botolph's rectory until his death, at the Oaks, Canterbury, on 3 June 1863. A Latin inscription to his memory, and that of two sons, is placed in the Charterhouse chapel.
By his wife, Mary Augusta, born Lloyd, a cousin of Charles Lloyd [q. v.], bishop of Oxford, Russell had four sons—John (d. 1836), Francis, William, and Arthur (d. 1828)—and two daughters: Augusta, wife of the Rev. G. Bridges More; and Mary, wife of General Hutchinson.
Although he was an admirable reader, he was not a great preacher. Besides separate sermons and school books, he published ‘The History of Sion College,’ London, 1859, 8vo, and edited for the first time ‘The Ephemerides’ of Isaac Casaubon [q. v.], with a Latin preface and notes, 2 vols. Oxford, 1850, 8vo.
[Foster's Alumni Oxon. 1715–1886, p. 1237; Register of Charterhouse Chapel, Harl. Soc. Publ. xviii. 71, 88; Mozley's Reminiscences, i. 162, 170, &c.; Times, 5 June 1863.]
RUSSELL, JOHN, Viscount Amberley (1842–1876), eldest son of John, first earl Russell [q. v.], by his second wife, was born on 10 Dec. 1842. He was educated at Harrow, Edinburgh, and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he went into residence in 1862, but did not graduate. Returned as a liberal to parliament for Nottingham on 11 May 1866, he made a promising maiden speech in the debate on the second reading of the Parliamentary Reform Bill of the following year (25 March); but on the dissolution of 1868 he declined to stand again for Nottingham, unsuccessfully contested south Devonshire, and retired from public life. He died of bronchitis at his seat, Ravenscroft, near Chepstow, on 9 Jan. 1876, and was buried at Chenies.
He married, on 8 Nov. 1869, at Alderley, Cheshire, Katharine Louisa (d. 28 June 1874), sixth daughter of Edward John, second baron Stanley of Alderley, by whom he had, with other issue, John Francis Stanley, who succeeded his grandfather in 1878 as second Earl Russell.
Amberley held advanced views in religious matters, and in ‘An Analysis of Religious Belief’ (London, 1876, 2 vols. 8vo) made a somewhat crude attempt to disengage the universal and permanent from the particular and transitory elements in religion. He was also author of a paper ‘On Clerical Subscription in the Church of England’ (reprinted from the ‘North British Review’), Edinburgh, 1864; London, 1865.
[G. E. C[okayne]'s Complete Peerage; Burke's Peerage; Ann. Reg. 1876, ii. 129; Athenæum, 1 July 1876.]
RUSSELL, Lord JOHN, first Earl Russell (1792–1878), statesman, born at Hertford Street, Westminster, on 18 Aug. 1792, was third son of John Russell, sixth Duke of Bedford (1766–1839).
The father, second son of Francis Russell, marquis of Tavistock (1739–1767), and grandson of John Russell, fourth duke [q. v.], was an officer of the Bedfordshire militia from 1778 to 1781, and ensign in the 3rd regiment of footguards from 18 March 1783 to 9 April 1785. But in early life he turned his attention to politics. He was a parliamentary reformer and a member of the Society of Friends of the People, to which Sheridan and Erskine, Rogers and Whitbread, Mackintosh and Grey belonged. Under the name of Lord John Russell he in 1788 entered the House of Commons as one of the members for Tavistock, in succession to Richard Rigby [q. v.] He sat for this constituency till 2 March 1802, when, on the death of his elder brother, Francis Russell, fifth duke [q. v.], he succeeded