sonnet containing the same line, probably written in 1646, was not published till 1673, was a Christ's man, and Rust perhaps derived the phrase from him. For himself, said Rust, he had studied all creeds, and preferred the church of England. In 1664 Rust was rector of Lisburn, where Lord Conway lived. He naturally became the friend of Taylor's friends, and in 1665 he visited Conway in England, when Valentine Greatrakes [q. v.] was trying to cure Lady Conway's headaches (Rawdon Papers, pp. 206, 213). Jeremy Taylor died at Lisburn on 13 Aug. 1667, and Rust preached a well-known funeral sermon. In succession to Taylor, Rust was appointed bishop of Dromore by patent in November 1667, and consecrated in Christ Church, Dublin, on 15 Dec. He died of fever in the prime of life in December 1670, and was buried in the choir of Dromore Cathedral in the same vault with his friend Taylor. No monument was erected there to either of them, and the bones of both were disturbed a century later to make room for another prelate. Bishop Percy of the ‘Reliques’ collected the remains of his two predecessors and restored them to their original resting-place.
Joseph Glanvill [q. v.] says Rust gave a new turn to Cambridge studies: ‘he had too great a soul for trifles of that age, and saw clearly the nakedness of phrases and fancies; he outgrew the pretended orthodoxy of those days, and addicted himself to the primitive learning and theology in which he even then became a great master.’ Rust's works are: 1. ‘A Letter of Resolution concerning Origen,’ &c., London, 1661, 4to. 2. ‘Sermon on ii. Tim. i. 10, preached at Newtown, 20 Oct. 1663, at the Funeral of Hugh, earl of Mount Alexander,’ Dublin, 1664, 4to. 3. ‘Sermon at Jeremy Taylor's Funeral,’ Dublin, 1667, 4to; numerous later editions; it was included by Heber in vol. i. of Taylor's ‘Works.’ 4. ‘A Discourse of Truth,’ London, 1677, 12mo; another edition, with copious notes and a preface by Joseph Glanvill, was published by James Collins, London, 1682; this is not identical with Rust's discourse delivered at Cambridge in 1655. 5. ‘A Discourse of the Use of Reason in Matters of Religion, showing that Christianity contains nothing repugnant to Right Reason, against Enthusiasts and Deists,’ London, 1683, 4to; this comprises the Latin original edited by Henry Hallywell, with a translation, copious notes, and a dedication to Henry More. 6. ‘Remains,’ edited by Henry Hallywell and dedicated to his diocesan, John Lake [q. v.], bishop of Chichester, London, 1686, 4to.
An account of Rust is given in Cooper's Annals of Cambridge, iii. 545–6; see also Ware's Bishops and Writers of Ireland, ed. Harris; Worthington's Diary and Corresp. (Chetham Soc.), pp. iii, 118, 134, 301, 305, 312, 339; Cotton's Fasti Ecclesiæ Hibernicæ, vol. iii.; Berwick's Rawdon Papers; Jeremy Taylor's Works, ed. Heber; Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss; Cooper's Memorials of Cambridge; notes supplied by the master of Christ's College.]
RUST, THOMAS CYPRIAN (1808–1895), divine, born at Stowmarket, Suffolk, on 25 March 1808, was educated in a boarding school at Halesworth. He became a baptist preacher in London, and in 1838 was ordained pastor of the baptist chapel, Eld Lane, Colchester. In 1849 he joined the communion of the church of England, and entered Queens' College, Cambridge, where he graduated LL.B. in 1856. He had previously been licensed to the perpetual curacy of St. Michael at Thorn, Norwich, and in 1860 he was presented by Dr. Pelham, bishop of Norwich, to the rectory of Heigham. That huge parish was subsequently divided into three, and Rust chose for himself the newly constituted parish of Holy Trinity, South Heigham, to the rectory of which he was admitted on 2 April 1868. In 1875 he was presented to the rectory of Westerfield, near Ipswich, which he resigned in 1890. He died at Soham, Cambridgeshire, on 7 March 1895, in the house of his only child, John Cyprian Rust, vicar of the parish.
Rust was an accomplished Hebrew scholar, and published: 1. ‘Essays and Reviews: a Lecture,’ Norwich, 1861. 2. ‘The Higher Criticism: some Account of its Labours on the Primitive History—the Pentateuch and Book of Joshua,’ London, 1878; this treatise, which chiefly criticised the writings of Ewald, was entirely rewritten and republished under the same title in 1890, in order to deal with the theories of Wellhausen and Kuenen. 3. ‘Break of Day in the Eighteenth Century: a History and Specimen of its First Book of English Sacred Song: 300 Hymns of Dr. Watts carefully selected and arranged, with a Sketch of their History,’ London, 1880.
RUSTAT, TOBIAS (1606?–1694), university benefactor, born at Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire, about 1606, and said to have been the descendant of a refugee from Saxony, was the grandson of William Rustat, vicar of Barrow from 1563 to 1588. He was the second son of Robert Rustat (d. 1637), M.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge, vicar of Barrow-upon-Soar and rector of Skeffington in Leicestershire. His mother was a daugh-