name. He engraved some of the illustrations to Guidott's ‘De Thermis Britannicis,’ 1691, Strype's ‘Memorials of Cranmer,’ 1694, L. Plukenet's ‘Phytographia,’ vol. ii. 1696, Evelyn's ‘Numismata,’ 1697, and Robert Morison's ‘Plantarum Historia,’ vol. iii. 1699. Savage probably executed many of the plates after M. Laroon in Tempest's ‘Cries of London,’ one of which, ‘The London Quaker,’ bears his name. A pack of mathematical playing cards, published by T. Tuttell, was engraved by him from designs by Boitard. Savage resided in Denmark Court, Strand, until he purchased the plates and succeeded to the business of Isaac Beckett at the Golden Head in the Old Bailey; later he removed to the Golden Head in St. Paul's Churchyard, near Doctors' Commons.
[Walpole's Anecdotes of Painting; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Dodd's Memoirs of English Engravers in British Museum (Addit. MS. 33404); Willshire's Cat. of Playing Cards in British Museum, pp. 236, 299.]
SAVAGE, JOHN (1673–1747), author, born in 1673, was a native of Hertfordshire, and was elected a king's scholar of Westminster School in 1687. Thence he was admitted on 13 Feb. 1691 to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, as a pensioner, and he graduated B.A. in 1694 and M.A. in 1698. On 24 June 1707 he proceeded B.D. and D.D. from Christ Church, Oxford. On leaving Cambridge he travelled for eight years with James Cecil, fifth earl of Salisbury, visiting nearly every country in Europe. Salisbury afterwards made him his chaplain, and on 31 Jan. 1701 presented him to the living of Bigrave, Hertfordshire. This he resigned in 1708 for the more valuable benefice of Clothall in the same county, which he held till his death. On 31 March 1732 he also became lecturer at St. George's, Hanover Square.
Cole says that Savage was ‘a stately man, rather corpulent;’ and Bishop Newton calls him ‘a lively, pleasant, facetious old man.’ He belonged to a celebrated social club founded at Royston soon after the Restoration, a former member of which, Sir John Hynde Cotton, writing to Gough in 1786, describes Savage as ‘a very jolly convivial priest’ (cf. Gent. Mag. 1813, ii. 411–12). Savage was much devoted to his old school, Westminster. A white marble tablet, with Latin inscription, erected in 1750 in the east cloisters by the king's scholars at their expense, attested his popularity there. The earl of Salisbury also commemorated Savage's name by an inscription on the first foundation-stone of Peckwater quadrangle, Christ Church, Oxford, laid by him on 26 Jan. 1705. Savage died at Clothall on 24 March 1747, from the consequences of a fall down the stairs of the scaffolding erected for Lord Lovat's trial in Westminster Hall. A portrait, engraved by Vandergucht from a painting by Thomas Forster, is prefixed to his ‘History of Germany.’
Savage published in 1701 an abridgment, in 2 vols. 8vo, of Knolles and Rycaut's ‘Turkish History,’ with dedication to Anthony Hammond, M.P. for Cambridge University. He wrote the first volume of ‘A Compleat History of Germany … from its Origin to this Time,’ which appeared in 1702, and superintended the rest of the work, in which the best extant German and Spanish authorities are handled with discrimination. He also edited and continued Bernard Connor's ‘History of Poland’ (2 vols. 1698); issued in 1703 ‘A Collection of Letters of the Ancients,’ 8vo; in 1704 two volumes of sermons; and in 1708 a poem in the ‘Oxford Collection of Verses’ on the death of Prince George of Denmark. Foreign literature engaged much of his attention. Besides taking part in Thomas Brown's version of Scarron's works, and in the translation of Lucian (1711) Savage translated from the French the anonymous ‘Memoirs of the Transactions in Savoy during this War,’ 1697, 12mo; from the Spanish, A. de Guevara's ‘Letters,’ 1697, 8vo, and Balthasar Gracian's ‘Oráculo Manual y Arte de Prudencia,’ 1702, 8vo, 1705, 1714; from the Italian, Moscheni's ‘Brutes turned Criticks,’ 1695 (sixty satirical letters); and from Latin, Gerard Noodt's published orations, ‘De Jure summi Imperii et Lege Regiâ,’ and ‘De Religione ab Imperio jure gentium liberâ,’ 1708.
William Savage (d. 1736), master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, born at Ickleford, Hertfordshire, was probably related to John Savage. After holding a sizarship, he graduated at Emmanuel College, B.A. in 1689, M.A. in 1693, B.D. in 1700, and D.D. in 1717. In 1692 he was elected fellow, and on 26 Sept. 1719 master of Emmanuel. He was some time chaplain to Lord-keeper Wright, and afterwards to Bishop Atterbury. The latter presented him to the rectories of Gravesend and Stone, Kent. The former he resigned in 1720 to become incumbent of St. Anne's, Blackfriars, London. In 1724 he was vice-chancellor at Cambridge. The ‘Inquiry into the Right of Appeals from the Vice-chancellor of Cambridge in Matters of Discipline,’ attributed to him, was probably written by John Chapman of Magdalene. William Savage died on 1 Aug. 1736 (Cole's Athenæ, Addit. MS. 5880, f. 177).