154 DISTINGUISHED CHURCHMEN
and in April 1894 the British Government declared Uganda a British protectorate. In the summer of 1897 Mwanga fled from the capital, and his infant son Chwa, baptised by the name of David, was pro claimed King. In September of the same year a serious mutiny of the Soudanese troops broke out. Several European officers were seized and mur dered, and one of the missionaries, Mr G. L. Pilkington, who, in response to the appeal of the authorities, was accompanying the Government forces as interpreter, lost his life. The country of Busoga first had a resident missionary in 1891 ; Toro was occupied in 1896, and Bunyoro in 1899. In 1897 tne Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa was sub-divided, the Uganda protectorate being formed into the Diocese of Uganda, which Bishop Tucker elected to retain, relinquishing the remainder to form the Diocese of Mombasa."
As the direct successor of Bishop Parker, the subject of this chapter has bravely carried forward the noble work inaugurated in Eastern Equatorial Africa by his other predecessor, the martyred Bishop Hannington, and because of this and his recent achievements at Uganda, as first Bishop of that Diocese, he has been much before the public eye often with anxious concern during the past twelve years. He was born in 1849, the son of Edward Tucker of Myln Close, Windermere, and although his birth actually took place at Woolwich, much of his early time was spent in the Lake