This page has been validated.
- the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, and in providing assistance to the peoples of the Non-Self-Governing Territories;
- Encourages the Non-Self-Governing Territories to take steps to establish and/or strengthen disaster preparedness and management institutions and policies;
- Requests the administering Powers concerned to facilitate, when appropriate, the participation of appointed and elected representatives of Non-Self-Governing Territories in the relevant meetings and conferences of the specialized agencies and other organizations of the United Nations system, in accordance with relevant United Nat ions resolutions and decisions, including the resolutions and decisions of the General Assembly and the Special Committee, on specific Territories, so that they may benefit from the related activities of those agencies and organizations;
- Recommends that all Governments intensify their efforts within the specialized agencies and other organizations of the United Nations system of which they are members to accord priority to the question of providing assistance to the peoples of the Non-Self-Governing Territories;
- Draws the attention of the Special Committee to the present resolution and to the discussion held on the subject at the substantive session of 2007 of the Economic and Social Council;
- Recalls the adoption by the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean of its resolution 574 (XXVII) of 16 May 1998, in which the Commission called for the necessary mechanisms for its associate members, including the Non-Self-Governing Territories, to participate in the special sessions of the General Assembly, subject to the rules of procedure of the Assembly, convened to review and assess the implementation of the plans of action of those United Nations world conferences in which the Territories had originally participated in their capacity as observers, and in the work of the Economic and Social Council and its subsidiary bodies;
- Requests the President of the Economic and Social Council to continue to maintain close contact on these matters with the Chairman of the Special Committee and to report thereon to the Council;
- Requests the Secretary -General to follow up on the implementation of the present resolution, paying particular attention to cooperation and integration arrangements for maximizing the efficiency of the assistance activities undertaken by various organizations of the United Nations system, and to report thereon to the Economic and Social Council at its substantive session of 2008;
- Decides to keep the above questions under continuous review.
46th plenary meeting
26 July 2007
26 July 2007
- See Official Records of the Economic and Social Council, 1998, Supplement No. 21 (E/1998/41), chap. III, sect. G.