Hempstead and had the flag displayed on the State House at half-mast in memory of the departed statesman. Although not a brilliant man, Governor Hempstead was a sound lawyer, an intelligent and influential legislator who gave the State valuable services in framing the early laws of the Territory and State. His administration as Governor was alike creditable to himself and to the State.
HENRY B. HENDERSHOTT was born in Miami County, Ohio, May 15, 1816, and his youthful years were spent on a farm in Illinois. He earned his way through college at Jacksonville by labor on a farm. In 1837 he came to the “Black Hawk Purchase” and studied law in Burlington. He began to practice at Agency City in 1843 and two years later was appointed Prosecuting Attorney for the Seventh District. As clerk of the court, he organized the county of Wapello. In, 1847 he was appointed Deputy Surveyor-General of Iowa and Wisconsin under General Jones. In 1848 he was appointed one of the commissioners, with Joseph G. Brown, to settle the disputed boundary between the States of Iowa and Missouri. They, in conjunction with a similar commission from Missouri, established a boundary line which was finally adopted and confirmed by the courts as the true and permanent boundary. In 1850 Mr. Hendershott was elected to the State Senate from the district composed of the counties of Wapello, Lucas and Monroe, serving four years. He took a prominent part in the enactment of the Code of 1851. He was a member of the Iowa Geographical and Historical Societies and was a frequent contributor to their publications. In 1856 he was elected judge of the Third District. He was one of the early and influential leaders of the Democratic party of Iowa. He died at Ottumwa August 10, 1900.
DAVID B. HENDERSON was a native of Scotland, having been born at Old Deer, on the 14th of March, 1840. He came to America with his father's family in 1846 and in 1849 removed to Iowa, locating on a farm in Fayette County. He remained with his father on the farm assisting him in the summer season and attending school in the winter and finally entered the Upper Iowa University, where he was pursuing his studies when the Rebellion began. The students were greatly excited and in their young enthusiasm many hastened to enlist, among whom was Henderson, who was not yet twenty-one. He volunteered in August, 1861, and was chosen first lieutenant of Company C, Twelfth Infantry. He was wounded at Fort Donelson and again severely at Corinth, having his left foot amputated, so that he had to leave the service in February, 1863. When the Forty-sixth Regiment was organized in June, 1864, he was so far recovered that he was appointed colonel and assumed command for the “hundred days'” service. In the meantime he had served as Commissioner of the Board of Enrollment of the Third District. In November, 1865, he was