Chief Chas. Gravatt, on April 1, 1873, mentions the name of Naiad House. This company had a short existence. Is officers were as follows:— W. H. Casey, foreman; B. F. Corsen, assistant foreman; Fred Wells, secretary. Its career was stormy, and on account of the actions of some of its members, which were, to say the least, scandalous, was disbanded when about one year old.
Mr. Gravatt also states that "the Exempt Engine Company is fully organized and invites the action of the township committee to purchase a suitable apparatus for them." This company latter became Empire Engine Company.
The first mention of Empire as a company is made by Chief John Rumer in his report for 1877-78. He says that "Empire Engine Co. 2 has 22 members, an Engine and Jumper in first-class condition, and 13 lengths of hose in fair order."
This company was formed by the Exempt members of Neptune Engine Co. It will be remembered that Neptune's first house was situated on Paterson avenue, and that later the town built them a house on Clinton avenue, near Charles street. This left the lower part of the town without proper fire protection, and I suppose it was to furnish the necessary and proper protection to this part of the town that the Exempt Engine Company was organized, and on April 14, 1876, the following citizens organized the Exempt Engine Co.:— W. H. Laune, E. N. Little,H. Leary, J. A. Alcorn, Geo. Cox, John D. Meredith, Chas. A. Yates, Albert Grandjean, D. Sence, J. D. Van Skiver, Chas. Tanner, Stoltz, C. Van Vorst, Geo. Bove, Jos. E. Taylor, C. Lever, Luke Ames, M. Browne and J. G. Syms.
The company's headquarters were in Francisco's barn on Demott street.
The company was reorganized on September 6, 1877, as an active company, and was named Empire Engine Co. 2. Its first officers were: Robert E. Leary, foreman; Chas. A. Yates, assistant foreman: Jos. A. Alcorn,; Albert Grandjean, treasurer. Its headquarters was in a house owned by Jos. Taylor, on Spring street, near Hague, and its present house on Hoboken street, was erected in 1883.
During the year 1878, Dexter Hook & Ladder Co. 1 was disbanded, and Columbia Hook & Ladder Co. 1 was organized, with Charles J. Chandless foreman; J. Hecht, assistant foreman; M. Ford, secretary, and John Rumer, treasurer. The old truck was sold and was sent down south, and a new truck (the one now in use), was purchased for Columbia.