Page:Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Volume 1 (2nd edition).djvu/191

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.


and the Strait of Magat/uu?. .At the head of St. Estevan's Gulf is St. Quentln's Sound; both were examined and found to afford excellent anchorage, and they are both of easy access should a ship, passing up the coast, lind herself upon a lee shore and not able to weather the land, as was the case with the ill-fated Wager*. The Gtutianeeo islands form the southern head of the Gulf of Perias; then follows Wellington Island, separated from the main by the Mesier Channel, which had not been previously explored, its mouth only being laid down in the charts compiled from the information of Muchado, a pilot who was sent in 1769 by the viceroy of Peru to examine the coast from Chiloe to the Strait of M.a .galhnens'?. This channel is also noticed in one of the two mmslonnry voyages above mentioned; but the object of these peditions being for the purpose of converting the Indians to Ghristianity?, and not for the extension of geographical know- ledge, little information of that nature could be obtained from their journal: the entrance of the Mesier, however, is deseribed by them; and on one occasion they were obliged to take refuge in it for fifteen days �ith this exception [ cannot find that it has ever been entered before our visit. The length of the channel is one hundred and sixty milen, and it 'oins the Concepcion Strait behind the Madre de Dim archipe- lago, at the Braze Ancbo of Sarm?ento. Lieutenant Skynng, who superintended this particular part of the survey, called the land which it insulates, Wellington Island; the seaward-coast of which, bearing on the old chart the name of Camparia, is probably fronted by one or more islands. Failos Channel, which separates the Campalta and Wellington Islands, was examined, from it?. northern entrance, for thirty-three miles, and was conjectured, after communicating with the sea at Dynely Sound, to extend to the southward, and 1?!1 into the Guff of Trinidad by one of the deep sounds which were noticed on the north shore. About thirty miles within the Mesier Channel, from the northern extremity, the wezt side appears to be formed by n succession of large islands, many of which are separated by wide channels lead-

  • The precise situation of the wreck of this vessel had hitherto been very vaguely

stm-ked on our elmrts: a careful imruasl, however, of B?n's n?rrative, and of Agueroy's az?ount of the Min?iouary Voyagen in 1779, auffu:iently point out the place within a few miles. It is on the north s?de,-' ? near the west end of the easternmost of ?he Ouainneco islands, which we named in eouseq?enee Wager Island. At Port 8ant? Bariram, seventeen milzs vo the ?outhward of thlsgroup, n v? old wo.?ento? beam of a vessel was found, which thare is re,on to think may be n relic of ?l?at fortunate ship. It was of ]?nglish ouk, and was found thrown up above the high- water mark upon the rocks at the antranc? of the port. No other vestige was de- teeu? by us ;?the mt?ionari?, hewnvet, found broken gin? bottles and other evl- dent mu? of the wreak. At Ghiloz 1 ?w a man who iuui form? on? of this en- terprising Imray, and obt?n?i from him a curiou? and interesting aeeount of royagra. ? Aguer?, p. ? et seq. ++ Ibld. p. 181, ? ?q. ? Ibid. p. 2.37. Di?ltiz?d by Google