Oval commenced a new and lengthy career of prosperity. The contagion of the latter's enthusiasm soon spread itself, and the eighteen years he was at the head of affairs have been, and with reason, described as the palmy days of Surrey. The early part of Mr William Burrup's management saw Surrey pre-eminent. Of nine matches played in 1857, all were won, and in the following year the County eleven had the proud satisfaction of beating England, and in the most decisive fashion, by no less than an innings and 28 runs. Martingell, Sherman, Caffyn, Cæsar, and Tom Lockyer, were then in their prime; and the eleven was completed by the addition of H. H. Stephenson, Griffith, and W. Mortlock, with three amateurs, Messrs F. P. Miller, Fred Burbidge, and C. G. Lane.
Subsequently the brothers Humphrey (Tom and Dick), H. Jupp, and Pooley, enabled Surrey to maintain a position, but in the seventies, with the exception of the year 1872, Surrey cricket deteriorated considerably. Season followed season with disaster. In 1877, however, when Mr John Shuter joined the team, the tide turned, and to him, together with the co-operation of Mr W. W. Read and others, Surrey cricket has vastly improved, the honours of the past fifteen years being distributed amongst such well-known players as Mr K. J. Key, Mr W. E. Roller, Abel, Brockwell, Barratt, Henderson, Hayward, Lohmann, Maurice Read, Richardson, and Wood.
During next winter the Surrey executive purpose building a gigantic new pavilion and tavern at a cost of £24,000.
Patron—His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.
President—Sir: Richard E. Webster, G.C.M.G., Q.C., M.P.
Vice-President—Lieut.-Gen. F. Marshall.
Hon. Treasurer—Wildman Cattley, Esq.
Secretary—C. W. Alcock, Esq.
Assistant-Secretary—V. W. Read, Esq.
Sussex, the oldest of all the first-class counties in the County Championship matches of to-day, can truly boast, with Hants, Surrey, and Kent, of being the pioneers of the game. It was Sussex that reared Richard Newland, the tutor of Nyren, the head and the right arm of the famous Hambledon Club. Royal associations, too, were connected with early Sussex cricket, for as far back as 1791 the Prince of Wales, afterwards George IV., formed a cricket-ground at Brighton. This ground was afterwards known as "Ireland's Gardens," and it was on this classic sward that the great deeds of the nonpareil bowler William Lillywhite, Tom Box, the two Broadbridges, Morley, Meads, Lanaway,