JOINT STATEMENTBY THE PHILIPPINES, THE FEDERATION OF MALAYA AND INDONESIA. SIGNED AT MANILA, ON 5 AUGUST 1963
The President of the Republic of Indonesia, the President of the Philippines, and the Prime Minister of the Federation of Malaya met at a Summit Conference in Manila from July 30 to August 5, 1963.
1. Moved by a sincere desire to solve their common problems in an atmosphere of fraternal understanding, they considered, approved and accepted the Report and Recommendations of the Foreign Ministers of the three countries adopted in Manila on June 11, 1963 (hereafter to be known as the Manila Accord).
2. In order to provide guiding principles for the implementation of the Manila Accord the Heads of Government have issued a declaration known as the Manila Declaration, embodying the common aspirations and objectives of the peoples and governments of the three countries.
3. As a result of the consultations amongst the three Heads of Government in accordance with the principles enunciated in the Manila Declaration, they have resolved various current problems of common concern.
4. Pursuant to paragraphs 10 and 11 of the Manila Accord the United Nations Secretary-General or his representative should ascertain prior to the establishment of the Federation of Malaysia the wishes of the people of Sabah (North Borneo) and Sarawak within the context of General Assembly Resolution 1541 (XV), Principle 9 of the Annex, by a fresh approach, which in the opinion of the Secretary-General is necessary to ensure complete compliance with the principle of self-determination within the requirements embodied in Principle 9, taking into consideration:
|(i)||the recent elections in Sabah (North Borneo) and Sarawak but nevertheless further examining, verifying and satisfying himself as to whether|
|(a) Malaysia was a major issue, if not the main issue;|
|(b) Electoral registers were properly compiled;|
- Came into force on 5 August 1963, by signature.
- See p. 344 of this volume
- See p. 352 of this volume
- United Nations, Official Records of the General Assembly, Fifteenth Session, Supplement No. 16 (A/4684), p. 29.