two months. General Tchemaieff left St. Petersburg Sept. 12, 1882, for Tashkend, to take up the reins of Government there.
TECK (Pbince and Duke of). His Sbbsne Highness Francis Paul Chablbs Louis Alexander, Count of Hohenstein, only son of Duke Alexander of Wiirtemburg and the Countess Hohenstein, was bom Aug. 27, 1837. By the Ger- man law, the marriage of his mother to Duke Alexander was only re- cognised as morganatic, and con- sequently Prince Teck and his two sisters bore the titles of Count and Countesses of Hohenstein until Dec. 1, 1863, when a royal decree of the king of Wttrtemberg con- ferred upon them the title of Prince and Princess Teck. His Eoyal Highness served in the Austrian army, but resigned his commission in 1866. He married the Prin- cess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge June 12, and was created an hon. G.C.B. (civil division), July 6, 1866.
TEGETMEtEE, Willlam B., F.Z.S., of German extraction, bom at Colnbrook, Bucks, in 1816, and educated for the medical pro- fession at University College, Lon- don. Mr. Tegetmeier is well known as, a writer on natural history. He is the author of " The Poultry Book," "Pigeons," "The Natural History of the Pheasants," " Mono- gra]^ of the Cranes," &c., and as hav^g republished many rare ornithological treatises, as "Bod- daert's Phinches Enlumin^es " and " Moore's Columbarium." He has devoted much attention to the variation of species, and greatly assisted Mr. Charles Darwin in the preparation of his volumes on "The Variation of Animals and Plants imder Domestication," and other works. Mr. Tegetmeier is editor of several departments in the Field newspaper.
TEMPLE, The Eight Eev. Fbedebick, D.D., Bishop of Exeter, son of an officer in the army, born
Nov. 30, 1821, was educated at the Grammar School at Tiverton, and proceeding to Oxford, became Scholar of Balliol College, and took his degree of B.A. in 1842 as a double first-class. He was elected Fellow and Mathematical Tutor of his college, and, having been ordained in 1846, was ap- pointed Principal of the Training College at Kneller Hall, near Twickenham, in 1848. This pnost he resigned in 1855 ; and having held an Inspectorship of SchooU during the interval, was appointed, on the resignation of Dr. Goulbum, in 1858, Head Master of Rugby School. Dr. Temple, who was a Chaplain to the Queen, gained some notoriety in 1860 as the author of the first of the seven "Essays and Eeviews," which caused so much controversy soon after their appearance. At the general election of 1868, Dr. Temple took an active part in Warwick- shire in support of Mr. Gladstone's measure for the disestablishment of the Irish Church ; and the Premier nominated him to the bishopric of Exeter, in succession to the late Dr. Philpotts — an appointment which caused considerable commo- tion in clerical circles. The confir- mation of Dr. Temple's election took place Dec. 8, 1869, at the church of St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheap- side, when Bishop Trower, as the representative of a portion of the clergy who were opposed to Dr. Temple, because he was the author of one of the " Essays and Eeviews," instructed counsel to op})ose the election. Counsel were accordingly heard on both sides, and Dr. Temple's election was confirmed by the Vicar-General. Dr. Temple received episcopal consecration at Westminster, Dec. 21, 1869, to- gether with the bishops-elect of Bath and Wells, and of the Falk- land Islands. Dr. Temple pub- lished " Sermons preached in Eugby Chapel, in 1858-60," in 1861. In April, 1883, he was elected Bamp-