with the Holy See in 1855 was repudiated; civil marriage was established; imprisonment for debt was abolished; and press offences were referred to the decisions of juries. Baron von Beust also directed his energies to the improvement of the financial condition of Austria, and the increase of her military strength. He accompanied the Emperor Francis Joseph to France on the occasion of the Universal Exposition of 1867. He resigned the post of Chancellor of the Empire in Nov., 1871, and shortly afterwards was appointed Austrian Ambassador at the Court of St. James's in the place of Count Apponyi. He remained in London till Nov., 1878, when he was appointed Austrian Ambassador at Paris. A sketch of "The Austro-Hungarian Empire, and the Policy of Count Beust, by an Englishman," was published at London in 1870. Count von Beust is Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour, and in Sept., 1871, the Emperor of Germany conferred on him the cordon of the Order of the Black Eagle. He has also received many other German and foreign decorations.
BEVERLY, William Roxby, painter, was born in 1824, at Richmond, in Surrey, where he received his education. His father was a midshipman, named Roxby, who had served under Lord Nelson, but who left the sea and appeared on the stage under the assumed name of Beverly. It was intended that the son should follow his father's profession, but he had a pencil in his hand whenever it was possible to get one, and he was well thrashed for daubing the walls of his bedroom with soot and red lead in the endeavour to paint landscapes. In 1851 Mr. Beverly became painter and director of the painting rooms at Covent Garden and Drury Lane Theatres; but for some years past he has been engaged at Drury Lane exclusively. He is renowned for his gorgeous visions of fairyland, and his magnificent transformation scenes. Mr. Beverly's works in water-colours are always well placed on the line at the exhibitions of the Royal Academy, and, for the most part, they find their way into the best collections.
BEWICK, The Right Rev. John William, D.D., Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, was born at Minster Acres, Northumberland, April 20, 1824, and at the age of thirteen became an alumnus of St. Cuthbert's College, Ushaw, where he completed his course of studies for the priesthood, distinguishing himself as a first-class scholar. Promoted to priest's orders in 1850, he was first placed as assistant priest at the cathedral in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. In 1854 he was removed to a more responsible position in North Shields, where he laboured for fifteen or sixteen years. Shortly after being appointed in 1868 by Bishop Chadwick his Vicar-General, he resigned the rectory of North Shields, and took up his residence at Tynemouth, where he founded the mission of Our Lady and St. Oswin. He was appointed a canon of the cathedral chapter in 1865, and ten years later received the doctor's cap from the Holy See. In Sept., 1882, he was nominated to the See of Hexham and Newcastle, which had become vacant by the death of Dr. James Chadwick, and he was consecrated by Cardinal Manning on the 18th of the following month in St. Mary's cathedral church, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
BIARD, Auguste François, a French painter, born at Lyons, Oct. 8, 1798; after studying in the Academy of Fine Arts of his native place, visited Spain, Greece, Syria, and Egypt, and his sketches rapidly found their way into public collections and private residences. His "Arabian overtaken by the Simoom in the Desert," exhibited at Paris in 1833, was followed by the "Odalisque of Smyrna." M. Biard was, however, more successful in the delineation