(1827); perpetual curate of Christ Church, Cheltenham (1842–59); honorary canon of Gloucester Cathedral (1857–67); and vicar of Paddington from 1859 till 1867, when he was appointed Dean of Exeter. He is the author of "Sermons on the Church," 1837, 2nd edit. 1844; "Letters on Episcopacy," 1839; "Episcopacy and Presbytery," 1841; "Rome and Oxford," 1843; "The Nature of and Necessity for the Reformation," 1850; "Progress and Results of Missions," 1864; "Intuition or Revelation?" 1864; "Baptism and Baptismal Regeneration," 1865; "The Place of Miracles in the Evidences of Christianity," 1866; "Confession, Absolution, and the Real Presence," 1867; "Letters on Church Extension;" "Modern Phases of Unbelief;" and "The Church of England, and what some people thought about her," 1877.
BOYLE, The Very Rev. George David, Dean of Salisbury, is the eldest son of the late Right Hon. David Boyle, Lord Justice-General and President of the Court of Session in Scotland, by his second marriage with Camilla Catherine, eldest daughter of the late Mr. David Smythe, of Methven, Perthshire, and was born in 1828. He was educated at the Charterhouse and at Exeter College, Oxford (B.A. 1851; M.A. 1853). Between 1853 and 1860, he held in succession the curacies of Kidderminster and Hagley. He was incumbent of St. Michael's Handsworth, from 1861 to 1867, and rural dean of Handsworth in 1866–67. He was appointed vicar of Kidderminster in 1867, and rural dean in the following year. He was honorary canon of Worcester from 1872 till 1880, when he was appointed Dean of Salisbury. The dean, who is the author of "Confession, according to the Rule of the Church of England," and "Lessons from a Churchyard," is free from party tendencies by a clergyman of moderate opinions. He married, in 1861, Mary Christina, eldest daughter of the late Mr. William Robins, of Hagley, Worcestershire.
BRABOURNE (Lord), The Right Hon. Edward Hugessen Knatchbull-Hugessen, is a son of the late Right Hon. Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart., of Mersham Hatch, Kent, many years M.P. for East Kent, and at one time Paymaster of the Forces under Sir Robert Peel, by his second marriage with Fanny Catharine, daughter of Mr. Edward Knight, of Godmersham Park, Kent, and of Chawton House, Hampshire. He was born at Mersham Hatch April 29, 1829, and educated at Eton and at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he graduated in 1850. He entered the House of Commons as M.P. for Sandwich in April, 1857, and represented that constituency in the Liberal interest until his elevation to the peerage. He was a Lord of the Treasury from June, 1859, till May, 1866; Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department from Dec., 1868, to Jan., 1871; and Under-Secretary for the Colonies from the last-named date to Feb., 1874. He was Chairman of the Treasury Commission which sat in Dublin in 1866 (the other members being Sir Richard Mayne, Sir Donald Macgregor, Col. Ward, and Mr. Law), to inquire into the condition of the Irish Constabulary, which at that time had no fewer than 1500 vacancies. The result of the investigation was an increase of their pay, and improvement of their condition, the force being thus restored to its former popularity. Mr. Knatchbull-Hugessen was sworn of the Privy Council March 24, 1873; and in May, 1880, he was created Lord Brabourne, of Brabourne, in the county of Kent. His lordship is a magistrate and deputy-lieutenant for Kent, and he assumed the name of Hugessen by Royal licence. He married, in 1852, Anna Maria Elizabeth, younger daughter of the Rev. M. R. Southwell, vicar of St. Stephen's, St.