CTHAMBSS^ — OHAMBOBD.
Bottlw, K.C.B., G.C.S.I., the ae- eood Km <^ the late Sir Henry ChAmberlain, Bio^. (who was for aome Tears Consul -Qeneral and Charge d'Af^ires in Brazil), born at Bio, Jul. 18, 1820, was appointed to the Indian Army in 1836. He Berred as a sabaltem with much distinction in AfF^hanistan and Sdnde, and was wounded at Kan- dahar and at Gliuznee. In 1842 he was attached to the Governor- General's body-guards, and in 1843 appointed Deputy- As^stant Qnar- ter-master-General to the Army. In 1848 he was nominated by Lord Dalhonsie one of his aides-de-camp, and oommanded the 8th Irregular Cavalry, attached to the army in the Poniaab. In 1866, having pre- VKMialy discharged some important civil duties as military secretary to tlie Chief Commissicmer (Sir John Ijawrence), he was placed in oom- mand of a force of irregular troops, wbich he retained until the breaking out of t^e Indian mutinv. On the d^iih of Col. Chester before Delhi, CoL Chamberlain (then brigadier- sreneral) succeeded to the poet of Adjutant-General of the Bengal Army, and was severely wounded in tiie scvtie of July 18. He was nomi- nated a C.B. in 1867, and, in reward for his services in tiie mutiny, was appcHnted ude-de-camp to the Queen. He afterwards gained dis- tinction by his services against the hill-tribes, and has been wounded more freonently than any other officer of his years and standing in the service. He was advanced to the rank of Lientenant-General in May, 1872 ; appointed Ck>lonel of the Bengal Infantry in May, 1874; a member of Council of the Governor of Madras in 1875 ; and Commander- in-Chief of the Madras Army in Dec. 1875. In Aug. 1878, he was ap- pointed the head of the English special missicm to Cabul. This miasi^m was abruptly stopped by the jrefuaal of the Aiueer of Aifghanis- tan's officer at Ali Musjid to permit it to advance (Sept. 21).
CHAMBERS, Sib Thomas, Q.C, M.F., son of Mr. Thomas Chambers, bom at Hertford, in 1814, was edu- cated at Clare Hall, Cambridge, and was called to the bar at the Middle Temple in 1840. He repre- sented the borough of Hertford in the House of Commons from July, 1862, to July, 1867. In the latter year he was elected Common Ser- jeant of London, and in 1861 he was appointed one of Her Majesty's Counsel. In 1865 he was elected one of the members for Maryle- bone, which borough he has con- tinued to represent down to the present time in the Liberal interest. In Parliament his name has been principally identified with pro- posals to subject convents to perio- dical inspection by paid officials of the State, and with a measure for legalising marriage with a deceased wife's sister. He was knighted for his judicial services in 1872, and elected Becorder of London, Feb. 5, 1878, in the room of Mr. Russell Gumey, resigned.
CHAMBERS, Thb Right Rev. Waltbh, D.D., was for some time senior missionary ^t Borneo, and subsequently archdeacon of Sara- wak, and commissary and exami- ning chaplain to Dr. Macdougall, the first bishop of Labuan and Sarawak, on whose resignation, in 1868, he was appointed to succeed him in the see. He was conse- crated in Westminster Abbey, June 29, 1869. He resigned his see in 1879.
FSBDINAND - MaBIB - DlXUDONN]^-
d'Abtois, C^oxtb db Chambobd and Due db Bobdbaux, head of the elder branch of the Bourbons, bom in Paris, Sept. 29, 1820, is son of Prince Charles Ferdinand d'Artois, Due dc Berri, who was assassinated in March, 1K20, and of the Princess of the two Sicilies, the famous Duchesse de Berri. He was baptised with great pomp with water brought from the Jordan by Chateaubriand. "The child <^