borne) became Lord Chancellor, Mr. Amphlett was chosen his successor in the presidency of the Legal Education Association. At the general election in 1868 he was chosen M.P. for East Worcestershire, in the Conservative interest. In Jan. 1874, he was appointed the successor of Baron Martin in the Court of Exchequer, being, with the exception of the late Lord Cranworth, the only Equity barrister who, up to that period, had been promoted to a seat on the Common Law bench. He retired in 1877, in consequence of ill health. Mr. Amphlett married, in 1840, Frances, only daughter and heiress of the late Edward Ferrand, Esq., of St. Ives, Yorkshire.
AMPTHILL (Lord), The Right Hon. Odo William Leopold Russell, G.C.B., G.C.M.G., is the third and youngest son of the late Major-General Lord George William Russell, G.C.B. (formerly ambassador at Berlin), by Elizabeth Anne, only child of the late Hon. John Theophilus Rawdon, and the niece of the first Marquis of Hastings. He is, therefore, a grandson of John, sixth Duke of Bedford and brother of the present Duke. He was born at Florence, Feb. 20, 1829, and received his education at Westminster School. He entered the diplomatic service in 1849 as attaché to the embassy at Vienna, but returned to England in 1850, and served for nearly two years in the Foreign Office. In 1852 he was attached in succession to the embassies at Paris and Vienna. He became second paid attaché at Paris, in 1853, and first paid attaché at Constantinople in the following year. He was charged with the affairs of the embassy during Lord Stratford de Redcliffe's two visits to the Crimea in 1855. Accompanying Lord Napier to the United States in the spring of 1857, he was for a time paid attaché at Washington, whence, in Nov., 1858, he was transferred to Florence, with instructions, however, to reside at Rome, with a commission as Secretary of Legation. He was temporarily attached in 1859 to Mr. (now Sir Henry George) Elliot's special mission to congratulate Francis II., King of the Two Sicilies, on his accession to the throne. In 1860 he was transferred to Naples, but continued to reside at Rome; and on the withdrawal of Her Majesty's mission from Naples in Nov., 1860, he continued to lie "employed on special service" at Rome till Aug. 9, 1870, when he was appointed Assistant Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. He was employed on a special mission to Prince Bismarck at the head-quarters of the German Army at Versailles from Nov., 1870, till the following March. In Oct., 1871. he was appointed to succeed Lord Augustus Loftus as ambassador to Berlin. Lord Odo Russell was sworn of the Privy Council Feb. 5, 1872; was raised by royal warrant to the rank of a duke's son in 1873; was nominated a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (civil division) in 1874; and created a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of SS. Michael and George in 1879. In Feb., 1881, he was raised to the Peerage as Baron Ampthill of Ampthill, in the county of Bedford. The "honour" and manor of Ampthill, from which he takes his title, is an historic spot, associated with the memory of the first and much-wronged wife of Henry VIII., Queen Katherine; it was subsequently, in the last century, the seat of the Earls of Upper Ossory, from whom it passed to Lord Holland, and from him again to Francis, seventh Duke of Bedford, uncle of the present Duke and of Lord Ampthill. He married, in 1868, Lady Emily Theresa Villiers, third daughter of George, fourth Earl of Clarendon, by whom he has a daughter and four sons.
ANDERDON, The Rev. William Henry, S.J., an English divine of the Roman Catholic communion, was born in New Street, Spring Gardens, London, Dec. 26, 1816. Being grand-