eng^eer^ under the late Mr. Timo- thy Bramah. He was engaged as an assistant engineer, under Robert Stephensouj on the Manchester and Birmingham Railway, under Mr. James Walker, in a graving dock in Woolwich dockyard, in 1&40 became Resident Engineer of the London and Croydon Railway, and carried out some important works in the widening of that line, and the necessary alteration of bridges, &c., without impeding the heavy traffic of the railway. The Croydon and Epsom Railway was constructed under his direction, and in 1846 he succeeded the late Mr. Brunei as Chief Engineer of the Bristol and Exeter Railway, in which capacity he constructed and laid out sever^ wdlways in the West of England. In 1855 he was appointed by the Go- vernment a member of the Ordnance Select Committee, an office which he held for about three years, until the committee was reconstructed. He has for several years been pro- fessionally connected with the General Post Office, his principal duties being the settlement, by arbitration with railway companies, of the rates of payments for mail trains. He has laid out and re- ported on many works abroad ; the drainage of the Lake Fucino in Italy, and the construction of the Beziers and Graissessar Railway in France, having been commenced under his direction, and from his designs. He is Engineer of the Somerset Central and Dorset Cen- tral Railways, Consulting Engineer of the Ceylon and Pemambuco Railways, and in 1868 was elected President of the Institution of Civil Eng^eers. He was created a Com- panion of the Order of SS. Michael and George in 1876, and a Knight Commander of the same Order in May, 1883.
GREGORY, Edwabd John, A.R.A., son of an engineer in the Peninsular and Oriental Company's service, was born at Southampton in 1850. He was educated in the
Middle Class School there under Mr. David Cruickshank, who did much to encourage his artistic pro- clivities. He was then placed in the Engineers' drawing office of the Peninsular and Oriental Company at Southampton, where he remained till 1869. During this time he attended the Southampton School of Art. He also became acquainted with Mr. Herkomer, and took part in the formation of a Life Class chiefly under his direction. He then came to London, studied at South Kensing^n for a few months, then took up some other mechanical decorative work for the "depart- ment," succeeding Herkomer in this employment. He exhibited his first picture (in water colour) at the Dudley Gallery, and was tnen for a number of years a regular member of The Oraphie artistic staff. In 1873 he was elected a member of the Institute of Painters in Water Colours. His first considerable success dates from 1876, when he exhibited, at Mr. Deschamps* Gallery in New Bond Street, a powerful picture of morning light streaming in on the ho^ and hostess of an otherwise deserted ball-room. Am<5ng the pictures exhibited by him at the Institute are : " Norwegian Pirates," " Pet of the Crew," "Sir Galahad" (which gained the Watts Prize at Man- chester), "St. George," and "Last Touches." At the Grosvenor Gal- lery he has exhibited portraits of the Chairman of Lloyd s Register, Mr. W. T. Eley, and Miss Gallo- way; and "The Rehearsal" and other pictures: and at the Royal Academy, his own portrait, and portraits of Mr. H. R. Robertson, and the Rev. Thos. Stevens, Warden of Bradford College. Mr. Gregory was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy, Jan. 30, 1883.
GREGORY, The Rev. Robebt, M.A., son of Robert Gregory, Esq., of Nottingham, born in 1819, was educated at private schools and at Corpus Christi College, Oxford,