and has done much to render Aus- tralian scenery familiar to European eyes.
GUIBEET, His Eminbnck Cabdi- NAL Joseph Hippoltte, Archbishop of Paris, was born at Aix, Dec. 13, 1802, and early distingui^ed him- self in his theological studies, which he completed at Borne. Indeed, he passed so good a final examination as to draw upon him the eyes of the then Pope. Subsequently he became Vicar-General of Ajaccio and Bishop of Viviers (Ard^che). His diocese being small and not over-populous, he was able, while here, to devote himself to his favourite study of theology, and to comi>ose several religious treatises which are very widely read by French Boman Catholics. He succeeded Mgr. Morlot as Archbishop of Tours, Feb. 4, 1859, on the promotion of that prelate to the see of Paris. He hunself was also destined to become Archbishop of Paris, to which see he was promoted on the nomination of M. Thiers, President of the Republic, in succession to the martyred Mgr. Darboy, in July, 1871. He was created a Cardinal by Pope Pius IX. in Dec. 1873. He was nominated an Officer of the Legion of Honour, Aug. 11, 1859. Many of his pastoral letters have been published.
GUILLAUME, Jean Baptistb Claude Eugene, a distinguished French sculptor, born at Montbard (C6te d'Or), Feb. 3, 1822, and after passing through the usual course of studies in the College of Diion, went to Paris to become a pupil of Pradier at the !^cole des Beaux- Arts, where he obtained the prize of Rome in 1845. On the re- organization of the £cole des Beaux-Arts at the close of 1873, M. Gmllaume was appointed to a pro- fessorship, and a twelvemonth later was nominated Director of that institution. He was elected a mem- ber of the Institute in 1862 ; pro- moted to the rank of Officer of the Legion of Honoiir in 1867 j and
elected an honorary member of the Royal Academy of London, Dec. 15, 1869. It was stated, in May, 1878, that he was about to be nominated Director of Fine Arts in succession to M. de Chennevi^res. This artist is famous for his fine works; his name is familiar to those visitcurs at the London International Exhibi- tion of 1862 who noticed "The Tomb of the G^^acchi,'* which was suggested by the double busts of the great brethren placed as on a tomb, and side by side. His statue of Napoleon I., which was at the French Universal Exhibition of 1867, attracted great attention. Among the other productions of his cmsel are " Theseus finding his Father's Sword on a Rockj" "Ana- creon's Guests," a bas-relief ; bust of M. Hittorff in the Universal Exposition of 1855 j " The Lives of SS. Clotilde and Val^re," bas- reliefs, in the new church of St. Clotilde : the statue of L'H6pital, in the new Louvre ; the " Monu- ment of Colbert," at Rheims ; and a bust of Monseigneur Darboy.
GULL, Sib William Withet, Bart., M.D., F.R.S., was born Dec. 81, 1816, being the youngest son of Mr. John Gull, of Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex. He was educated privately, and subsequently pursued his medi- cal studies at Guy^s Hospital. He graduated M.B. in 1841, and M.D. in 1846, at the London University ; and it is worthy of note that he was the first medical graduate who was nominated on the Senate by the Crown. Dr. Gull was Ful- lerian Professor of Physiology at the Royal Institution of Great Britain in 1847-49; was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Phy- sicians in 1848; and for twenty years acted as physician and lec- turer to Guy's Hospital, retiring from that position about 1867, though he resumed his connection with the institution in 1871 by ac- cepting the post of consulting phy- sician. On Jan. 20, 1872, he was created a baronet, in reoognition of