tenary of the Swan of Avon's birthday; and so highly was his style of acting appreciated that a crown of laurel in solid silver was presented to him as a memorial of the occurrence. In San Francisco he was presented with a handsome gold medal, upon which were placed his initials in diamonds and other precious stones. His career in America was a very triumphant one, but his great ambition was to play in London. Accordingly in Feb., 1868, he appeared at the Lyceum Theatre, in "Narcisse," his success being so great that the late Lord Lytton, who witnessed the performance, invited him to Knebworth, when his lordship said he was the only actor he had seen, since the days of Macready, who inspired him to work again for the stage. An intimacy sprung up between them, and Lord Lytton re-wrote for Mr. Bandmann his drama of "The Sea Captain," which was produced at the Lyceum Theatre, under the title of "The Rightful Heir," and had a run of three months. Mr. Bandmann next made a tour through the English provinces; and in 1869 he went to Australia, where he stayed for twelve months. He returned to England by way of Honolulu, where he played before the late King Kaméhaméha, who invited him to his palace. In Jan., 1877, he played once more in Berlin, in his native tongue, Hamlet, Othello, and Shylock, creating a most decided enthusiasm, which was flatteringly acknowledged by the entire press. Since his return he has made three tours through the United Kingdom. Mr. Bandmann married in Feb., 1869, Miss Milly Palmer, who accompanies him on his tours. In the course of his last professional tour round the world he visited America and our Australian colonies. In New Zealand in particular he was remarkably successful, and created intense enthusiasm. He also visited Calcatta and other cities of India (Dec. 1881); and in May, 1882, he was performing Shaksperean characters at Shanghai.
BANGOR, Bishop of. (See Campbell.)
BANKS, Mrs. George Linnæus, born March 25, 1821, in Oldham Street, Manchester, and baptised Isabella, was the daughter of James and Amelia Varley, smallware dealers. They were well connected, the father a man of reserved manners but of cultivated tastes— chemistry, art, journalism, being his amusements. From a very early age she had free access to his library. She was a favourite with Mrs. McGibbon, the tragic actress (daughter of Woodfall, the celebrated reporter and printer of Junius), and accompanied her to the theatre, or into the fields for study, when quite a child. She was educated at the private schools of Miss Spray and the Rev. John Wheeldon. At eleven her first verses were composed. Her first recognised poem appeared in the Manchester Guardian when she was just sixteen. At eighteen she commenced a school for young ladies in Cheetham, Manchester, and for their use designed patterns in needle work, afterwards collected into a small book. During this period Miss Varley was a member of the ladies' committee of the Anti-Corn Law League. In 1844 appeared her first volume of poems, "Ivy Leaves," I. V—y having been the signature to her early contributions to papers and periodicals. On Dec. 27, 1846, she was married to George Linnæus Banks, the "poet, orator, and journalist." Her school was given up, and they removed to Harrogate, where he edited the Harrogate Advertiser, and began his labours as a founder of Mechanics' Institutes. In the first of these, the Harrogate Mechanics' Institute, Mrs. Banks delivered her only lecture on "Woman—as she was, as she is, and as she may be." Succeeding years were marked by re-