M.P., eldest surviving son of Sir Henry Russell, the second baro- net, by his second wife, Marie Clotilde, daughter of Monsieur Mottet de la Fontaine, was born at Southern Hill, Reading, June 22, 1826. He was educated at Eton, and succeeded his. father as third baronet, April 19, 1852. He was appointed to the 35th Regiment in Aug., 181<3 ; served with the regi- ment in Mauritius ; was transferred to the Grenadier Guards in 18 17 ; proceeded with the Expeditionary Force to Malta in Feb., 1854, and served throughout the Crimean campaign. He was present at the landing of Old Fort, and at the battles of Alma, Balaclava, Inker- mann, and the siege of Sebastopol ; was appointed D.A.A.G. and D.A.Q.G. after the battle of Inker- mann ; was promoted Brevet-Major for distinguished service in the field ; received the Victoria Cross for his conduct at Inkermann, as also the Crimean medal and four clasps, the Turkish medal and order of tiie Medjidie, and the order of the Legion of Honour. He repre- sented Berkshire in the Conserva- tive interest, in the Parliament of 1866-68, and vacated his seat for that county under the operation of the minority vote. He was re- turned for Westminster in 1874, but resigned in 1882. He is Hon.- Col. of the 46th Middlesex Volun- teers. Sir Charles is a Deputy Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace for Berkshire.
RUSSELL, Thb Rev. John Ful- ler, F.S.A., graduated S.C.L. at St. Peter^s College, Cambridge, in 1837, proceeded B.C.L. in 1838, and has been Rector of Greenhithe, Kent, since 1856, having previously been Incumbent of St. James's, Enfield. He has written a number of works on the doctrine and dis- cipline of the Church of England ; amongst them, "The Exclusive Power of an Episoopally Ordained Clergy to Administer the Sacra- ments/' published in 1834 ; "Judg-
ment of the Church on the Suffi- ciency of Holy Scripture, and the Value of Catholic Tradition," in 1837; "Strict Observance of the Rubric Recommended," in 1839; and " Anglican Ordinations Valid, in Reply to a Roman Catholic, Dr. Kenrick," in 1816. He wrote a "Letter to * the Right Hon. H. Goulbum on the Religion and Morals of Cambridge University," published in 1833; "Life of Dr. Johnson," 1847 ; Sermons ; several articles in the Encyclopoedia Metro- politanay and in periodicals; was co-editor with Dr. Hook of " Selec- tions from the Writings of Anglican Divines," in 1840, and with Dr. Irons of "Tracts of the Anglican Fathers," in 1841 ; and editor of " Hierurgia Anglicana ; or. Docu- ments and Extracts Illustrative of the Ritual of the Church of Eng- land after the Reformation," m 1848. He was examined, as an ex- pert, by the Royal Commissioners on Ritual in 1867, and his oral and written evidence is contained in their Second Report. He is a member of the Council of the So- ciety of Antiquaries, of the Central Committee of the Royal Archaeo- logical Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, and of the Committee of the Ecclesiological Society.
RYLE, The Rev. John Chables, D.D., Bishop of Liverpool, eldest son of the late John Ryle, Esq., M.P., born near Macclesfield, in 1816, educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1836, was Craven University Scholar, and took a first-class in classical honours. Having been admitted into orders in 1841, he was curate at Exbury, in the New Forest; was appointed Rector of St. Thomas's, Winchester, in 1843 ; Rector of Helmingham, Suffolk, in 1844 ; Vicar of Stradbroke, Suffolk, in 1861 ; Rural Dean of Hoxne, in 1869 ; and an honorary Canon of Norwich in 1871. He was nomi- nated to the Deanery of Salisbury by Lord Beaconsfield in March,