wife of Rich. Hardres, 1579; Dorothy Hardres, 1583. (Hasted.) See the notice of the memorial of John Strete in Boutell. (Monum. Brasses, 122, 141.) According to Hasted (III, 733, and note fol.), in the middle of Lynsore, or Linchesore Wood in this parish were once, if not are now, the foundations of a chapel, "called Sir Tho. Garwinton's Chapel;" but whether or not this building was identical with the chapel of Garwinton or Warwinton, noticed under Little Bourne (which see), it may be difficult to determine without examination of the localities. The manor of Linsore once belonged to the Garwinton family.
148. Harrietsham.—A church of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, square west tower with battlements and stair turret, also at the east end of the north aisle what was originally a large square tower; of which the lower portion is Norm, or Tr. Norm., and the interior has a groined roof. The chancel is E.E. The south chancel has a Dec. tomb arch in the south wall. Some other parts of the building are of Dec. character; some are Perp. The font is of unusual shape being somewhat classical; the material Weald marble, now highly polished. The church has recently been extensively repaired and refitted in very creditable taste.
149. Hartlip.—A church is spoken of here A.D. 1225. (Reg. Roff. 410.)
Remains of Roman buildings have been discovered in this parish on the estate of W. Bland, Esq. A small portion is described in Hasted's Hist. of Kent, but further excavations in 1848 laid open much more than he was acquainted with. For a slight but interesting account of these vestiges consult Mr. C. R. Smith's (Collectanea Antiqua, II, Part I.) The columns of the hypocaust were composed of square tiles, deeply scored across while the clay was soft, so as to form small squares. (Ib. Plate VIII, Fig. 6.) The object of this seems to have been, it is sensibly suggested, that the tiles might be easily broken into those small portions, when required for constructing a coarse tesselated pavement. Tiles are occasionally found partially cut through in a similar manner from one angle to that opposite, to be separated when needed for finishing the courses in a pavement which were laid diagonally.
150. Harty.—In this very small church is preserved an oak chest, which has been repaired, but of which the oldest part is curious, containing the carved representation of a combat or