Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/117

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
81
NOTES TO KENT.

tained a door and a window, of which the arches were turned with Roman bricks, and the chancel arch was "gothic" (pointed?). The entire building had been very small. Robert Beverlye, rector, was buried in the church about 1500; but when Leland wrote, about forty years later, it was in ruins. Church offices are performed in Limpne. (Hasted.)—Within bowshot were the remains of mother chapel. (Harris.) Possibly one of those named by Leland. Compare also the Note on Hithe.

163. Hollingbourne .—Appears in (Val.Eccl.)as a rectory, the vicarage being named separately with the chapels of Hucking and Bredhurst annexed. Hucking is still attached to the vicarage of Hollingbourne; but Bredhurst is a distinct benefice, though only a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the sinecure rector of Hollingbourne.

164. Hoo.—(A.D. 1291) "Ecclia Sancte Werburge" (Hoo), note, "cum capella omnium sanctorum," Allhallows.—The six churches intended by (D.B.) were probably Hoo, High Halstow, St. Mary's, Allhallows, Cowling, and Stoke. High Halstow and St. Mary's, as well as the next, are known to have been formerly chapels to Hoo (see Hasted), and the other two are adjoining parishes, to which (D.B.) assigns no church; and the whole of that district, little as it is esteemed at the present day, must have been held in some consideration in early times.

165. Hope.—(Val. Eccl.) names the vicar of Allhallows, Hope, but the church is now destroyed. The chancel arch has zigzag ornaments, but was filled up, and a smaller pointed arch built beneath. The side windows were small, and rounded at the top. On the south side was a round-headed arch, highly enriched, with a smaller pointed one below, forming the door. (Hasted.)—The present condition of the ruin is unknown. The name stands in the (Clergy List) still as a rectory.

166. Horsmonden.—This church contains a very good brass, under a mutilated canopy, of John de Grothurst (Grofhurst, Boutell, i. e. Grovehurst) one of a family anciently seated at a place of the same name in this parish. An inscription across the breast states, "Qui dedit manerium de Leueshothe abbati et conventui de Beghamme ad inveniendum unum perpetuum capellanum celebrantem in ecclesia de Horsmondenne et capella de Leueshothe; Who gave the manor of Leueshothe to the abbot and convent of Bayham for finding for ever a chaplain to celebrate in the church of Horsmonden and the chapel of Leueshothe." (Reg. Ron , and Cust. Roif.) The porch of this church is styled " a very fine one of wood, with rich bargeboards," of Dec. date.