Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/168

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
130
NOTES TO KENT.

from the pier, was anciently a chapel, dedicated, according to tradition, to the Virgin Mary. (Hasted.)

260. Petham—Is written "Pecham" in (A.D. 1291.) The vicarage of Petham is united with that of Waltham; and the second Domesday church may have been that of the latter place.—At Swindling in this parish a chapel existed in 1190; and a chantry was founded at Depden temp. K. Henry IV. (Harris.) The priest belonging to the latter is mentioned in (Val. Eccl.)

261. Piventone.This name is now commonly known as Pevington; the place was formerly a separate parish. A.D. 1583 the church being pronounced dilapidated, it was united to Pluckley by Archb. Whitgift (Hasted; who adds of the church, "now a stable") It does not occur in (A.D. 1291), but is estimated in (Val. Eccl.), when it possessed "a mansion and glebe worth by y ere thirteen shillings and fourpence;" and to this day the rectory of Pevington appears annexed to that of Pluckley. (Clergy List.) The church was demolished toward the end of the eighteenth century (probably soon after Hasted's statement, as above, was penned), and the materials used in the construction of three barns, one on the farm, the others elsewhere; whence the building may be imagined to have been of considerable size. The site is still known; namely, in a young orchard southward of the farm-house.

Plaxtole or Plaxtool.—The church was erected in 1649, as declared on a stone inserted into the east end.

This church was bylte for the worship of God. Anno Domino 1649

See also the Note below on Stansted.

About five miles northward from the town of Tonbridge, and one mile north-eastward from the village of Plaxtool, to which latter it is considered to belong, stands Sore Place, now usually known as "Old Shore Farm." though formerly a place of importance. The woodcut exhibits a ground plan of the upper floor, which contained the inhabited apartments. The hall measures internally about twenty-eight feet by eighteen and a half. At each end is a window of good proportions, though rather long, terminating upwards in an acute-angled arch, and on one side of the fireplace is another, smaller, quadrangular