did not originate in this country with "Rich. Harris, fruiterer to K. Henry VIII," as above asserted, though possibly that cultivation may then have received considerable stimulus. As an additional contradiction to Lambarde's story it may be mentioned, that the Nonæ Roll, dating about A.D. 1341, estimates the tithe of apples in the parish of Graffham in Sussex at twenty-six shillings and eightpence. (Horsfield's Sussex, II, 96.) This large sum for the period necessarily implies extensive plantations of that fruit.
327. Thanington.—Brass: Tho. Halle, 1488 (Harris); 1485 (Hasted.) A hospital, dedicated to St. James, was founded in Thanington before A.D. 1188. (Monast. VI, 765.)
328. Thornham.—The church is not a good building, but possesses a rather rich Dec. east window, and a stoup in the north porch, in good preservation, with a cypher, w, surmounted by a crown, on a shield beneath it.—"Thornham cum capella de Aldryngton." (Val. Eccl.) See the Note on Audintone.—Upon the brow of the hill overlooking this place stand some ruins of a castle, said (by Kilburne) to have been erected by Sir Leonard Goddard, temp. K. Stephen.
329. Throwley.—A priory was founded here, A.D. 1153, by Will, de Ipre on the spot, which is now occupied by the parsonage. (Hasted.) The priory was a cell to the alien priory of St. Bertin's, and was suppressed 2 of K. Henry V. (Kilburne.)Harris mentions stalls and an altar-tomb in Throwley church.—A.D. 1367, 42 of K. Edward III, the chapel of Wylrington belonged to the vicarage of Throwley (Hasted); who assigns no locality for the chapel.
330. Tintentone.—Hasted considers (correctly I think) that Tinton in the parish of Warehorne is the place intended by "Tintentone," At the period of the Domesday Survey the hundreds seem not to have been very precisely defined; at least in the present instance there appears something like confusion. "Werahorne" is placed in "Hame" (Ham) hundred, " Tintentone" in that of "Blackeburne;" yet part of the latter manor is, elsewhere, described as in the hundred of "Adelovesbrige" (Aloesbridge), and in "Nevvecerce" (Newchurch) hundred half a yoke of land is declared to be valued, " appreciatur," in Tintentone. This however is partially explained by the circumstance, stated by Hasted, that the house of Tinton manor stands near Warehorne church, though the land lies principally in Romney Marsh. Such being the locality of Tintentone manor-house,