the right hand side of the road leading from Tonbridge to Woodsgate, in the neighbourhood of what was South Frith forest.
The Lowy is an appellation still used for a district round the town: in particular the meadows north of the river towards Leigh are familiarly called "The Lew." It is stated, that the term is properly "Leuga," and that it was derived from the circumstance of Tonbridge, with land around it to the distance of a French league (leuga) in all directions, being bestowed to satisfy a claim to a town and territory in Normandy. (Lambarde.) There is however tolerably conclusive testimony, that this story is a mere idle tale. In the first place the date of the above transaction is laid in the reign of William Rufus; whereas the Lowy of Tonbridge, written indifferently "Leuga" and "Leuua" (double u) is mentioned frequently in (D.B.), compiled under K. William I. Also the title is not confined to Tonbridge, as it would be, if originating as Lambarde affirms, but is applied likewise up to the present day at Pevensey in Sussex, comprehending nearly the whole of the contiguous rich marsh land, known as " Pevensey Level."
332. Tong.—At Puckeshall in this parish stood the hospital of St. James. (Tanner, in Monast. VI, 764.)—"Neer the mill here (about a quarter of a mile distant from this church) are the ruines of an old castle, built by Hengist the Saxon (about 1200 years since) upon this occasion, viz. This Hengist being sent for by Vortiger (king of Britain) to assist him against his northern enemies, and giving them the overthrow, obtained from that king so much ground as might be enclosed in a bull's hide (to build him a seat upon) which hide he cut into very small thongs (left fast one unto the other). And within the compass thereof built that castle (which he called Thong Castle) from whence also this parish afterwards took its name." (Kilburne.)
333. Tudely.—The nave and tower of this church have been rebuilt nearly from the ground with brick in very bad taste. The east window is apparently of the same date. Brass: Tho. Stydolf and wife, 1457.
334. Tunstall.—This church has a square western tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch (the latter modern) chancel, and another on the southern side, the private property of the Hales family, large land-owners in the parish and neighbourhood, by one of whom it was erected in the seventeenth century, From a string-course in the interior the north wall appears to be