351. Womenswold.—Soon after this place was separated from Wingham, about 1286, it was united to Nonington. (Hasted.) And so continues.
352. Woodchurch.—Brass: Nich. Gore, priest; inscription in old French. (Hasted.) A small effigy within a quatrefoiled circle inclosed within the four points of a rich Greek cross fleury. The legend is in Longobardic characters. (Monum. Brasses, 120.)
353. Woode.—This church was used as a place of worship in 1563, but ruins of it only now remain, and the parish is added to Birchington. "The church must have been of considerable size, as the foundation measures from east to west 84 feet, and from north to south 56; there is a mount of eight or ten feet high in the middle of the area of the church, which evidently appears to be the ruins of the tower. There is a farmhouse adjoining the inclosure, which is about a quarter of a mile from the great road leading from Canterbury to Margate." (Hasted.) The name is omitted in the (Clergy List.)
354. Woodland.—The church having been destroyed, Woodland is now included in the parish of Kingsdown near Wrotham. In (A.D. 1291) "Ecclia de Wodland" appears; likewise in (Val. Eccl.) as a rectory. In a list of churches in the diocese of Rochester (compare the Note) perhaps earlier than A.D. 1291, we find "Watlande" enumerated among the churches, while Stansted is reckoned a chapel merely; but the name is now dropped. Harris states, that this church was suppressed by Card. Pole in 1557, when it was united to Wrotham, though the manor continued in Kingsdowne. Lambarde says "united to the vicarage of Wrotham," A.D. 1572.—" The rector and vicar of Wrotham receive all ecclesiastical emoluments within the district of the chapelry of Woodland, which they possess only till a chapel shall be built for the use of the inhabitants of it. There are twenty acres in it possessed by the rector of Wrotham, as part of his glebe." (Hasted.) The site of the ancient church is still known. Within recollection some remains of it existed, if they do not now.
355. Woodnesborough.—This church contains parts in all styles of architecture from Norm. to late Perp., though the latter consists only of wooden seats in the chancel. There are three stone seats, or rather stalls, of very good Dec. work, but sadly obscured by whitewash.
356. Woolwich.—See the Note on Lewisham for a quota-