Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/315

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
257
NOTES TO SUSSEX.

domestic chapel. (For "Historical and Architectural Notices of Mayfield Palace" consult Suss. Arch. Coll. II, 221 et seq. See also Ib. 179.) (Val. Eccl.) alludes to a park as existing here.

173. Middleton.—This parish contains only about 310 statute acres. The manse is destroyed. The church is small and low. The south aisle, tower, and half the chancel, with the whole south side of the churchyard, have been absorbed, and are now covered with shingle. The latter is entirely desolate. (Cartwright's Dallaway.) The name appears in the (Clergy List) notwithstanding. The church has now, 1847, entirely vanished.

174. Midhurst.—This place is not estimated in (A.D. 1291), and in (Val. Eccl.) is described as a chapel to Easebourne, together with others; of which one was Tadham, now Todham. There are two places or properties of that name, Great and Little, in the parish of Midhurst, south-eastward from the town, near the river Rother.[1] The chapel was at Great Todham, but is now destroyed. See Easebourne.

When Midhurst was constituted a parish, distinct from Easebourne, is not discoverable. (Dallaway; who considers, that both places are included in D.B. under the name of Easebourne.) Midhurst is still only a perpetual curacy. In the old castle also was a chapel, and another, we may presume, at the house of the Knights of St. John, who possessed a commandery here. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 93, 94.)

175. Milland—Or Tuxlithe chapelry, is annexed to Trotton (Horsfield's Suss. II, 90), but the name is omitted in the (Clergy List).

176. Mountfield.—From Horsfield's description of the church (Suss. I, 564), it seems to be Norm.—Near Mountfoeld is an estate called Glat- or Glot-tingham. "In a wood, called the Castle Wood, is the site of the ancient mansion; a space of seven rods by ten rods is contained within the foundations, considerable remains of which have been dug up for the stone

  1. Two rivers in different parts of the county of Sussex bear this name, Rother. The one above mentioned rises near the border of Hampshire, south of Petersfield, traverses Cowdray Park, and joins the Arun at Hardham. The other Rother rises in or near Rotherfield, runs by Etchingham and Salehurst, until, on the eastern boundary of Bodiam, where it receives the small stream called Kent Ditch, it divides the counties of Sussex and Kent as far as the sea, into which it falls at Rye. This last must be the river alluded to in the Saxon Chronicle, compare the Note on Limpne, Kent, as disemboguing at Limme in the ninth century; because, from Hithe to Rye, and even farther westward, no other stream will answer the description of "running from the great forest called Andred;" and, in addition to written documents, that this river many centuries ago passed northward wide of its present course is sufficiently proved by the discovery, A.D. 1822, of an ancient vessel, between fifty and sixty feet long, which was buried in an old channel of the Rother, the soil being eleven feet deep above the gunwale. For further remarks upon these topics consult the Note on Newenden, Kent.