Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/339

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been validated.

The eastern end has been so changed by repairs of the wall, that it is doubtful whether an opening there, now filled up, about the height, but barely the width, of a door, is original; the sides are faced with stone, but the top is arched with brick, and the springing of the arch does not correspond at the two sides. This place is mentioned in the charter of Bp. Seffrid II, rather earlier probably than A.D. 1200, as cited in the Note on Lewes. It is not named in the Taxation of P Nicholas IV, but it is, as "capella de Baldesdene, the chapel of Baldesdene," in a charter of Will., third Earl Warenne. (Chartulary of Lewes Priory.) The tithes and manor of "Ballysden" in the parish of Rottingdean are it described, though not the chapel, in (Val. Eccl.); where one portion of the tithes, belonging to Lewes Priory, is valued at £2 13s. 4d. ("liijs iiiid"), a large sum in those days; another portion of the estate was then the property of the college of South Malling.

213. Rudgwick.—This church comprises chancel, nave with a north aisle, western tower, south and west porches. The general character seems to be E.E. and Dec., with some Perp. insertions, particularly an ugly window in the chancel. The tower is not high, but very massive; the parapet rests upon a corbel table consisting almost entirely of plain brackets, but a small portion indicates the style to be E.E. There is some peculiarity in the feathering and mouldings of the windows of the nave, proceeding probably from the material, Sussex sandstone, not admitting of such fine work, as may be produced in a superior description of stone. Buttresses stand diagonally at the angles of the building. The repairing and restoring of the church, still in progress when visited, must have greatly improved the appearance of it, especially the substitution of low benches for high pews.

214. Rumboldswyke.—In (N.R.), as well as in (D.B.), this place is styled simply "Wyke"

215. Rusper.—Brasses: half length, John and Agnes Kyggesfelde, of the fourteenth century from documents quoted by Cartwright. (Rape of Bramber). These are noticed, (Monum. Brasses, 115,) as affording "valuable examples of costume at that period," namely, about A.D. 1375. Also Tho. and Marg. Challoner, 1532. (H0rstield’s Suss. II, 274.) A nunnery, of which there are still considerable remains, existed in Rusper, which is first mentioned by Gervase of Canterbury. "The earliest notice of this house is in the ancient List of monasteries