of an earlier structure.—(A.D. 1291) "Ecclia de Stenynge cum capella note, capellis;" but there is nothing to indicate the number or the situation of those chapels; though one of them might well be the second church named in (D.B. and doubtless one of them is referred to below.—"This," Steyning, "seems to have been in the Saxon times a place of some note for a church or monastery, wherein St. Cudman was buried." Tanner in Lel. Itin. vol. VIII, p. 65. An alien priory was established here after the reign of K. William I. Tanner speaks of the parish of St. Cuthman, and the parish church of St. Andrew. (Monast. VI, 1053.)
239. Stoke, North.—This is a cross church with a low central tower. There are "three arcades in the chancel, with seats in them." (We must presume, sedilia.) In the spring of A.D. 1834 an ancient boat was discovered in this parish about a hundred and fifty yards from the river Arun. It was formed from a single oak tree hollowed out, in length thirty-four feet six inches. The late Earl of Egremont, on whose property it was found, presented it to the British Museum. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 147.) The canoe, or rather punt, had no keel, and was square at both ends, as may be perceived by inspection at the Museum.
240. Stoke, South.—This church is stated to be very small, merely a nave, and to have "a frieze" (a corbel table?) with heads of birds and animals, under the chancel roof. (Dallaway.)
241. Stopham.—Of this church, of which the windows contain relics of coloured glass, "the pavement is almost entirely composed of large slabs of Sussex marble, inlaid with brass figures and memorials of the Bartelotts, from the date of their first establishment at Stopham &c ;" in the fourteenth century. From West. Suss. 347, 350. It is added, that Stopham bridge was erected temp. K. Edward II, A.D. 1309. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 173.)
242. Storrington.—This church, with the exception of the chancel, was rebuilt about A.D. 1750. (Horsfield's Suss. II, 160.)
243. Street.—"Duæ æcclesiolæ; two small churches." (D.B.) The second might very possibly stand at Wivelsfield, an adjoining parish, though it was afterwards, as in (A.D. 1291) united with Ditchling. Street church consists of chancel, nave, north porch, north chancel; the last of brick, now a family burying-place, probably coeval with Street Place; and a large bell-turret over the west end. In the chancel a low side window has been closed. The north and south doors are Norm.; the latter is built up.