Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/405

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
339
NOTES TO SURREY.

south chapel and most of the windows are Perp. In the chancel are a piscina and a sepulchral arch in the south wall. There are also two small brasses, male and female, with an inscription not belonging to them. In the south wall of the south chapel is another sepulchral arch. There are a few scraps of coloured glass, some small remnants of screen-work, and several oak benches; the last Perp., as is the font. A slight appearance of Tr. Norm, work is visible. The porch has some pierced Dec. woodwork remaining on its eastern side.

Roman coins and other relics are stated to have been found in this parish. (Archaeol. Journal, VI, 288.)

76. Ockham.—Effigies (whether of stone or of brass is not mentioned) : John Weston, in armour, and wife, 1483. (M. & B.)

77. Oxted.—Brasses: John Yuge, rector, 1428; Johanne Haseldean, 1480. (M. & B.)

78. Petersham.—A curacy annexed to the vicarage of Kew. (Clergy List.) "There is a fishery of a thousand eels and a thousand lampreys; piscaria de mille anguillarum et mille lampridulium. (D. B.) Fisheries are continually mentioned, especially of eels (sometimes of so many sticks, of which one stick = 25 eels), but in the three counties now examined, this is the only instance of lampreys being specified.

79. Pirbright.—On the authority of Regist. Wainflete Pirbright is said to have possessed a chapel, subordinate to the church of Woking, but no date is assigned for the foundation of it. (M. & B.)

80. Pirford.—A vicarage united with the rectory of Wisley. The north door of the church has Norm, zigzag mouldings. (M. & B.)

81. Putney.—Anciently a chapelry to Wimbledon; now a perpetual curacy.

82. Puttenham.—The church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle with a chancel, a south chapel, a south porch, and western tower. The nave and aisle are Norm., probably late; the same roof spanning both. The chancel, of which the east end is reported to have been reduced, with the arches and piers opening into the north chancel, are E.E. The latter portion has been rebuilt. The porch, which is now used as a vestry, or at least the door into it is Tr. Norm. The south chapel and the tower are Perp., but both have been so patched, they are difficult to understand. Throughout the interior chalk, not stone, is used.