Page:Notes on the churches in the counties of Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.djvu/409

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
341
NOTES TO SURREY.

88. Send.—Of this church the chancel is E.E. with a Dec. east window of three lights inserted. The nave and tower are late Perp. Nearly all the original late Perp. oak benches remain. In this parish stand the ruins of Newark abbey, which was founded about A.D. 1200, or perhaps rather earlier. (M. & B.) The ruins consist only of some massive, but shapeless, fragments of walls.

89. Shalford.—(Val. Eccl.) annexes Bramley as a chapel to this place, which connection is only very recently dissolved. The church has just been rebuilt. In the old one was a brass of Roger Elyot in a gown, and wife, 1509. (M. & B.) The original building was a cross church with a steeple, which was taken down A.D. 1788. (Russell's Guildford, 292.) On account of the defective state of the new church, that was replaced by the present building in imitation of the E.E. style, A.D. 1846 and 1847.—In Shalford parish stands Unsted, an old farm-house, with a stack of chimnies of unusual magnitude; date temp. Q. Elizabeth, or probably earlier. The latch and handle of the house-door are of precisely the same construction as similar articles in the old parsonage of West Dean, East Sussex (compare the Note there); wherefore they, if not the door, perhaps belonged to an earlier building, than that now existing at Unsted. Part of the original house was pulled down not very many years ago.

90. Shere.—This church, which has a central tower, retains portions of every style of architecture, commencing with Tr. Norm., part being very good, and some the contrary.—Within is a stone effigy, mutilated and laid in the floor, of a Lord Audley, who died A.D. 1491. (M. & B.)

91. Southwark.—In (D. B.) a church is mentioned here only incidentally. It is stated, that there was a monastery in Sudwerce retained by K. Edward (the Confessor) at the day of his death; (consequently it was a Saxon foundation;) and that the possessor of the church (of that monastery) held of the king. In (A.D. 1291) several churches in Southwark are named. (Val. Eccl.) notices those of St. George and St. Olave; as likewise the priory of St. Mary Overy, and the hospital of St. Thomas the Martyr.

92. Stoke next Guildford.—In this church are chancel, nave with north and south aisles, and western tower. The latter is Perp.: the north wall of the north aisle seems to be E.E.; the others have been rebuilt in modern times.

93. Stoke D'Abernon.—Brasses: Two D'Abernons; Elyn