at Oxenford in this parish, belonging to Waverley Abbey, but his idea is probably erroneous. (Monast. VI, 1624.)
110. Woking.—Brasses: Hen. Purdan, in a gown, wife and seven children, 1523 ; John Shadhet, in a gown, and wife, 1527; (from Aubrey) Gilbert Gilpin, keeper of Woldng Park, 1500. (M.&B.)
A monastery existed here in Saxon times, it being stated, that, A.D. 775, "Brordan prayed the king, that he would graciously liberate a certain monastery belonging to him, called Wocingas, because he proposed to bestow it upon (the church of) Medeshamstede." (Gibs. Chron. Sax. 62.) The last-named place is now Peterborough. The enfranchising charter is given by Mr. Kemble, but with the date, A.D. 796. There is no intimation in the document of the above-mentioned intention, though the grant is declared to be in consequence of the request, to that effect, of Brordan, and of an abbot, named Pusa. "Ego Offa ipso piissimo praeordinante deo rex Merciorum, rogatus a uenerabili abbati meo nomine Pusa, simul et a praefato meo uocabulo Brorda, ut aliquam liberalitatem eius aecclesiae quae sita est in loco ubi dicitur Uuoccingas concederem &c." (Cod. Dipl. I, 204.) A.D. 655 a "mynstre," that is, a monastery, had been erected at Medeshamstede " for the love of Christ, and in honour of St. Peter," by the monk Saxulf, in behalf of Peada, king of Mercia, and Oswy, king of Deira. (Gibs. Chron. Sax. 33.) Endowed with large possessions and extensive privileges by successive sovereigns (ut sup. 34, &c. ; 41, &c.; 46), it was plundered and burned, the abbot and monks being slain, by the Danes in 870. (Ut sup. 80.) It remained desolate and in ruins till restored by Athelwald, Bp. of Winchester, A.D. 963, when its former endowment was confirmed, with some addition, by K. Ædgar. (Ut sup. 118.) Kenulf, elected abbot in 992, encircled the monastery with a wall, when the name was changed to Burch, or Burh, that is, Borough (Comp. ut sup. 120 and 127); which last name alone is used afterwards to the end of the Saxon Chronicle. It was again sacked, and the town burned with the exception of a single house, by the Danes under Hereward, A.D. 1070 (ut sup. 176 &c.); after which the repairing is not described. It was a third time destroyed by fire, apparently from accident, except the chapter-house and the dormitory, with the chief part of the town, in 1096 (ut sup. 219), and was only restored by Abbot Martin, A.D. 1140 (ut sup. 240).
Though certainly foreign to our subject it may be mentioned