very modern erection. "In this parish standeth yet a poore show of that decaied hospital of St. Bartholomew, the foundation whereof was layde by Gundulphus, the bishop" (Lambarde.) The hospital of St. Bartholomew still exists, though no longer appropriated for lepers, the establishment consisting of four brethren, one of whom officiates as chaplain. The only building belonging to it is the chapel, situated south of the High street of Chatham, not far from the border of the parish toward St. Margaret's, Rochester. The larger portion of the chapel is modern, but the east end is ancient, being an apse, with three round-headed windows, and probably the only remains of the original structure of Bp. Gundulph. Within is a recess, once containing a piscina, of E.E. character. Though always moderately endowed, this hospital was formerly of sufficient consideration to possess a burying ground, the "cemeterium sancti Bartholomei" being mentioned in a deed dated "die Edmundi regis anno regni Edwardi tercii post conquestum vicesimo primo—on the day of King Edmund" (Nov. 20), "in the twenty-first year of the reign of Edward the Third after the conquest" (of England by Norman William.) (Reg. Roff. 215.) The above date would be A.D. 1347.
70. Chelsfield.—Beneath an arch is an altar tomb of Rob. de Brun, rector, on which are brasses of the Virgin, St. John, &c., 1417. Brasses: Will. Robroke, rector, 1420; Alicia, wife of Thos. Bray, and four sons, 1510. (Reg. Roff.)—From the (Textus Roffensis, 230-1,) it appears that there was at some early period a chapel to Chelsfield called Fearn Berga. This, no doubt, was Farnborough. See the Note there.
71. Cheriton.—An E.E. church. (Rickman.) It merits examination.
72. Chesilhurst.—This church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and square west tower, with a shingled spire. The chancel has recently (1849) been rebuilt, with the addition of a vestry on the north side. The south aisle and porch are new, though the latter only replaces a former porch. The font is square with round-headed arches slightly sunk in the sides, of Weald marble. The interior of the church is Perp., containing some good screen work. The north wall is ancient; the windows are late Perp. insertions. The tower is of uncertain date, apparently altered and added to. At the side of the south door a mutilated stoup has been preserved.—Brasses: Alan Porter, rector, 1452; Custume, wife of John Grene, 1476;