The college or chantry was founded 13th April, 1389; dissolved 31st of K. Henry VIII; and re-founded under the will of Sir Will. Brooke, Knt. who died 6th March, 1596, being completed in 1598. (Reg. Roff.)
80. Colred.—(A.D. 1291), "Ecclia de Colrede et Popeshale;" which latter place is an ancient manor in the parish of Colred, in (D.B.) called "Popeselle" and "Popesale." Popyshall appears also in (Val. Eccl.), where it is stated to have been appropriated to the priory of Dover; wherefore most probably the chapel shared the fate of that establishment.—Popeshall Chapel is mentioned in a document dating in 1274. " The foundations of this chapel or church are still to be seen at a small distance from the manor-house." The church of Colred stands within an ancient entrenchment on the summit of a hill. (Hasted.)—The vicarage is consolidated with Sibertswold.—Under West Langdon will be found a notice of the chapel of Newesole. To the document, wherein it is named, no date is appended, but it belongs perhaps to the very commencement of the fourteenth century. Newesole (according to Hasted) is now merely a farm in the parish of Colred, vulgarly called Mewsole, though he records the mention, in certain Christ's Church MSS., of " the Abbot of Langdon's chapel at Newsole," adding, "but there are no remains of a chapel existing, nor any tradition leading to it." (Hist. of Kent, fol. V, 12, and note a ).
81. Cosmus, St.—About A.D. 1100 this church was appropriated to Eastbridge Hospital, St. Thomas's, in Canterbury. The vicarage was founded (in 1375) and endowed by Simon Sudbury, Archb. of Canterbury. (Harris.) The vicarage remains in the gift of the master of Eastbridge Hospital. (Clergy List.)
82. Cowden.—This church comprises chancel, nave, north aisle (erected A.D. 1837), south porch, and a small shingled spire upon the west end of the nave. The building seems to have been extensively repaired, probably in the Dec. period, like others in this sandstone district, which comprehends part of both Kent and Sussex. There is no tower, the spire being elevated upon a substantial framework of remarkably fine timber, and admirably constructed upon arches, of which two cross at right angles, bearing a resemblance to stone groining. Like Ashurst, Hartfield Sussex, and others, the place of the chancel arch is supplied by a tie-beam. The wall-plates project beyond the face of the wall, and are ornamented with carving, in addition to the mouldings. In the east window have lately been placed