account still is, that the foundation was the work of Fulke de Newenham, A.D. 1153, for twenty-six nuns. To this establishment belonged in 1384 the churches of Hercheghe (Harty?) Nyewyngham (Newnham) and Dauyngton. Neither prioress nor nuns remained in 27th of K. Henry VIII. (Monast. IV, 288.)
95. Deal.—The old church, though much modernised in extremely bad taste, retains some relics of the ancient work in different styles.
96. Debtling.—Is named (in Val. Eccl.) as a chapel to Maidstone. The church is ancient, but poor, containing however a well-known magnificent Dec. lectern. In the churchyard stands, as a grave stone, a large stone cross, similar to one in Goodneston near Wingham churchyard, but of superior design. Harris mentions, that there was in the church the bust of a man upon a portion of a grave stone.
97. Denton,near Gravesend.—Notwithstanding that this place possessed a church at the period of the Domesday Survey, it is not named in either (A.D. 1291) or (Val. Eccl.); wherefore perhaps it was early deserted, though no information has been obtained when the church or chapel might be desecrated. It is stated, that this parish lies about two miles eastward from Gravesend; that, having been given to the church of Rochester in Saxon times, it had been unjustly usurped by Odo, earl of Kent, but was restored by K. William I; and was finally bestowed by K. Henry VIII upon the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. (Kilburne.) Harris reports that it contained only one house at the commencement of the eighteenth century.
98. Deptford.—Called “West Grenewych” in (A.D. 1291), where Greenwich is East G. The name of Deptford appears in (Val. Eccl.) Part of this parish lies in the county of Surrey. (Kilburne.)
99. Dimchurch.—The tower of the church has “an antient circular arch ornamented.” (Hasted.) In this parish the site of a Roman pottery was recently ascertained.
100. Doddington.—In deference to Hasted's opinion the Domesday church at “Dodeham” is admitted to belong to Doddington, but there are difficulties. That Doddington is described in (D. B.) under the name of Dodeham is undisputed; and, though the parish is now in the hundred of Teynham, in the eleventh century it might have been, as is stated of Dodeham, in that of Faversham. But to Dodeham, possessing a church, was annexed “half a fishery of three hundred herrings; dimidium