parative Anatomy of the Eye of Vertebrated Animals," and graduated as Doctor of Medicine in the spring of 1844.
Immediately after receiving his degree, his first work in connection with the university was as assistant in the chemical laboratories of Drs. Hare and James B. Rogers. He began the practice of medicine in the fall of 1844, and continued it for two years, when he resolved to devote himself wholly to teaching. This course he has never had occasion to regret. His qualifications, natural and acquired, would undoubtedly have secured for him brilliant success as a practitioner, but his work as student and teacher has brought him not only satisfactory pecuniary reward, but also other things to which he attaches far more importance—peace of mind, sufficient leisure to pursue his favorite studies, and freedom from the toils and responsibilities which attend the daily life of the practicing physician.
In the winter of 1844, in addition to his work in the laboratory of Dr. Rogers, he assisted Dr. Goddard, who was then Demonstrator of Anatomy in the university. While yet a student he had attracted the attention of Dr. Horner, the Professor of Anatomy, by his success in making a beautiful preparation of the ducts of the lachrymal glands, and this interest was sufficient to secure his appointment as Prosector to the chair of Anatomy in the winter of 1845.
In the year 1846 Dr. Leidy was elected Demonstrator of Anatomy in the Franklin Medical College. He held this position, however, only during the first session, and the next spring again associated himself with Dr. Horner, and gave a private course of anatomical lectures to his students and others.
In the spring of 1848 he accompanied Dr. Horner to Europe, and enjoyed, for the first time, a long-desired opportunity of examining the museums and hospitals of England, Germany, and France.
On his return he gave a course of lectures on microscopic anatomy, and in the spring of 1849 began a course on physiology in the Medical Institute, but owing to ill health, induced by incessant labor, he was obliged to take a rest extending over several months.
In the spring of 1850 Dr. George B. Wood was transferred from the chair of Materia Medica to that of Practice of Medicine in the University of Pennsylvania. Desiring to form an illustrative collection of specimens, models, and drawings, he was accompanied to Europe by Dr. Leidy, whose services in the selection of the material required will be evident to those who visit the museum of the university.
In the winter of 1852 Dr. Horner, who had been in ill health for some time, was unable to continue his course. With the consent of the Board of Trustees, he appointed Dr. Leidy as his substitute, and so acceptable to faculty, trustees, and students were the lectures delivered in completion of the course, that, on the death of Dr. Horner, Dr. Leidy was elected Professor of Anatomy in the spring of 1853.
During the war he was surgeon to Satterlee Military Hospital. His